Keys to a good transition.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Keys to a good transition.

Hi, I've begun to mix, although I suck I have made a couple of mixes, but the only bad thing about them are the transitions between 2 songs, Ean Golden made a video about these transitions but they are mostly simple ones. Can anyone help me with this, I need keys to making a good transition. How to make it? When to make it? Etc.

Tech Mentor

I have published one mix, it sucks, but can I get a comment on transitions, and how to improve them. Please http://soundcloud.com/juanugueto

Tech Mentor

Default Question about one of Ean's videos.

At one of his videos Ean gives a tutorial on transitions, in one of these mixes called the "End zone mix" he says something about a song's intro being 16 counts and the other song's ending being 16 counts. What does he mean by this count thing?

I'm working on a dubstep mix tape right now. What I usually do is look at the song structure, and assuming the timing and key are good, try different ways of introducing the new track in. Sometimes I'll fade a track in using the eq's or filter, use the hip hop slam, or just plain begin a track on the first beat. Just experiment. I can usually find a way to mix it in, but mostly depends on the type of music you're trying to mix. Lately I've been recording myself freestyle random tracks and listening to them afterwards because when I usually find a great mix, I keep mixing cause i'm into it and I later forget how I did it.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Banned

lol I'm having the same problem. Not sure what the counts mean, my timing is off on my songs also.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJSp1n View Post
    At one of his videos Ean gives a tutorial on transitions, in one of these mixes called the "End zone mix" he says something about a song's intro being 16 counts and the other song's ending being 16 counts. What does he mean by this count thing?
    It's called phrasing. Play a typical EDM song. Start counting each beat....you will notice there is a change in the song every 16 or 32 beats. Google phrasing or youtube it. This is DJ 101 fundamentals. Your mixes will come out alot better. I wouldn't worry about any gimmick transition until you got that down.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

[1234 2234 3234 4234 5234 6234 7234 8234] [1234.......] and so on

Quote Originally Posted by DJSp1n View Post
    Say you have song A which ends with a chorus then outro. Outros are normally 32 of 64 beats long, depending on the genre.

Song B starts with a 64 beat intro of just percussion, then after that it goes into a build up before the first chorus.

So the logical thing to do here is start Song B as soon as the outro starts on Song A. Start with the volume fader all the way down, and the bass EQ nearly all the way down. Depending on the song you might want to take out some of the highs too, depending on whether it has hi hats in the intro or not.

Gradually fade the volume up of track B. and then when you get to the point where both faders are at 100%, slowly swap over the bass for each track, by turning track A's down, and track B's up.

Tracks sometimes end with "white noise" bursts, which can sound cool if left in as a percussionless buildup starts on the incoming track.

So if the timing is right, Track A will end just as Track B starts its buildup.

Hope this explains it well.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

here some links to profesionals doing there stuff,watch and learn.just youtube 'DJsounds'

http://youtu.be/mDtsqgJhAds

http://youtu.be/bhLfWsMBxwA

Banned

This video is a nice stepping stone. Hopefully it can help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pN8sQl_vQMs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast