Looking for a setup (beginner)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Looking for a setup (beginner)

Hey guys, I'm really new to these forums... been a member for about 2 mins to be exact haha. I'm also new to the DJ scene, but has always been an interest throughout my whole life, i've always loved all music and have been playing instruments all my life and what not....
    Anyway, I've only been doing some mixing for about a few months now, I don't even have any hardware, only FL studio and virtual dj. I'm trying to find a good setup controller, and even though i'm a beginner, i'm also a fast learner, so I do not want something that's just a very simple, standard controller and doesn't offer many options to work with. I don't mind using something that takes some time to learn. I want something that I can remix well with, mainly house, trance, and electro material. I am looking for something at max price of around $800, I want it to be something that I can have for at least a few years. Opinions and explanations please! Thank you.
    Last edited by NJkilla7; 02-02-2012 at 01:53 AM.

The kontrol s2 is on sale right now, can't go wrong with that
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    The kontrol s2 is on sale right now, can't go wrong with that
    Yeah, I looked into that, definitely a possibility. What about the new kontrol f1 controller that should come out around April? Do you think that will be even better? Looks pretty sick.

Tech Convert

i haven't been through too many controllers but after seeing that s2 for the price it's going for, it's a hard bargain to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by NJkilla7 View Post
    Yeah, I looked into that, definitely a possibility. What about the new kontrol f1 controller that should come out around April? Do you think that will be even better? Looks pretty sick.
    The Kontrol F1 will be a "speciality" controller, it'll control the new sample decks (and some cruft on the side), and that's it, you can't really mix with it (in it's default mapping). The Kontrol S2 is an all-in-one solution with mixer section, EQs, effects, transport controls and what have you.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

s2 100%
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    The Kontrol F1 will be a "speciality" controller, it'll control the new sample decks (and some cruft on the side), and that's it, you can't really mix with it (in it's default mapping). The Kontrol S2 is an all-in-one solution with mixer section, EQs, effects, transport controls and what have you.
    Oh, okay, thanks a lot. Yeah the S2 looks great, but would it be worth it to spend a few more hundred to get the S4? I'm just a college student, so I don't have that much money, but if it's enough of a difference I'd be willing to spend a bit more.

Any other day all of us could make a long list of great controllers for beginners.
    But man, right now you just can't mis out on that NI S2 sale ! I have among other things an S4 and IMO it is THE best thing to mix on, I would prefer it over an expensive pioneer setup.
    If what you told us about yourself is true hop on the S2 sale and you 'll love NI till the day you die.

It all depends on his level of interest. If you just want to try this DJ thing then the S2. If you are pretty clear to invest not only money but also lots of time then go with the S4. Take that into consideration college guy.

In my particular situation when I got the S4 I became obsessed borderline autistic with the thing but take into consideration I came from a well played and banged VCI-100. IMHO, the headroom for 2CH controllers can get low pretty quick. Having dedicated controls for 4CH, cue/sampling and loop recorder will sure save some frustration down the line not mentioning the ease of upgrading to timecode. Unboxing that beast of a controller is terrifying like "holy shit, I have to figure out all these buttons" but at the same time "challenge accepted". Dont come back here crying if you fail a class due to time invested elsewhere

If I had the S4 while in college my life would be different as in I would have no college degree now but would have had SO much fun
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

Alright thanks for the advice guys, looks like everyone has a positive reaction with the S2 as well as the S4. But I think with this sale, the S2 is the best buy for the buck. Also, what about the Mixtrack Pro? How would you compare that in quality compared to the S2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast