Should I get a third sub

Default Should I get a third sub

For this show I'm doing?

I will have two Peavey 15's at 400 watts each, two Laney CX12's at 200 watts and two Behringer 12's at 200 watts. I'm not sure on the Peavey or Behringer exact models as I'm renting them, only know the size and power. All of these using the mid/high output from the subs

I am also renting two Mackie 1500 subs. They're active, 15 inches, and 600 watts each. If I'm playing electro house style stuff, should I try to get a third sub? The room is about 37 by 45 feet, and there will be 150 to 200 people

Quote Originally Posted by iprefermusic View Post
    For this show I'm doing?

I will have two Peavey 15's at 400 watts each, two Laney CX12's at 200 watts and two Behringer 12's at 200 watts. I'm not sure on the Peavey or Behringer exact models as I'm renting them, only know the size and power. All of these using the mid/high output from the subs

I am also renting two Mackie 1500 subs. They're active, 15 inches, and 600 watts each. If I'm playing electro house style stuff, should I try to get a third sub? The room is about 37 by 45 feet, and there will be 150 to 200 people
    I normally play for 100ish people with 2x300w PA's and 1x1000w behringer sub and its enough to be honest.
    I think that you could probably get rid of possibly the laney's or the behringer speakers. The two subs should be more than enough bass for a room that size in my opinion.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Generally it's much easier to set up even number of subs in a rectangular room. I would do 2 or 4. Maybe just get two 18" subs instead of the 15s if you don't want to get 4.

Also why are you renting three different types of loudspeakers? You would be better off getting fewer better speakers that are closer matched.

I've been to quite a few parties in a similar space than ran 4 18" subs then two very high quality 15" loudspeakers and it was perfect.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 02-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.

I have three different ones because my friend blew the horns on both mains in a similar situation, no highs for the second half of a three hour show. Don't want to make that mistake at all. I asked for the four most powerful passive mains from the store, and I already have the laneys available so I might as well add them too. It's easier to get louder volumes with more drivers than with more power, generally. There might be phase cancellation issues or whatever with more mains, but I feel like that wouldn't be as huge of an issue.
    Last edited by iprefermusic; 02-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Yeah but the behringers sound like garbage (I have a 12" behringer) and I can't imagine the others are much better.