CDJ-2000 looks like it has been discontinued- time for the CDJ-2000 Nexus speculation - Page 32
Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Yes, absolutely true. You could have a high priced item that is costly but the amount purchased is low (pro-gear) so the R&D costs have to be taken out somewhere...
    Its not just the R&D-costs but also the part-costs itself. For example the jogwheel is pretty expensive and beyond what most manufacturers can do at the moment.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Mentor

The tech we want has been out for some time... usb 3.0 touch screen backlit led scrolling wav... the price SHOULD drop a little but it probly wont

There's a reason the pro-industry is focusing on laptop and iPad integration. You move a lot of the cost and R&D concerning UI and playback into those devices and all you need to do is to write custom UI and sometimes drivers.

Tech Mentor

A lot of us dont wqnt to use a laptop on stage though...

Quote Originally Posted by wampaone View Post
    A lot of us dont wqnt to use a laptop on stage though...
    I respect that view. Pio is one of the few that puts effort into high end R&D work on such laptop-less systems so they have my respect. But it's expensive work.

PS: And a MacBook Air is pretty cool as a DJ central system :-).

Tech Mentor

I currently use a macbook pro 13" 2012 and serato with 1200's and djm-900 nexus... our crew use cdj-850s too but id really like to snag the new 20000s when they come out... screw using anything other than a mac though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Pioneer doesn't actually make a massive margin off of each unit, they make a considerable amount, yes, but so does any high end manufacturer. However, they dont make the huge amounts everyone perceives them to make, and they definitely don't "overcharge" for things.

I always laugh when people go off on a tirade about companies like Apple and Pioneer with their "massively overpriced products" and "screwing their consumer's wallets" and "insanly huge margins." Simply because the products they deliver cater to a high end market, and their brand perception is naturally associated with a high end product line. Any person with a fundamental understanding of marketing and product support understands why this is hilariously quaint.
    I always laugh when people go off on a tirade about people thinking they know everything with their way to make you say what you didn't. Simply because it has few lights and a screen, it takes billions in R&D ? Your opnion is naturally fooled with a few gadgets. Any person with a tiny bit of common sense would understand that charging $1500 more than competition can't be justified with R&D only. Especially with a job mechanism that has been existing for 11 years, and CDJ players that are 100% of plastic. That's why this is hilariously quaint.

BTW : I don't really give a shit about Pioneer pricing, i'll pick 2k's soon anyway.

Tech Mentor

it's only roughly $700 from competition worth comparing it to, not $1500 (unless you meant $1500 total cause you usually buy 2 decks?)

We are paying extra because Pioneer gives the rich dj's the gear for free so we pay for that difference! LOL

soooooo any news on this? should i hold off before selling my first born?

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I always laugh when people go off on a tirade about people thinking they know everything with their way to make you say what you didn't. Simply because it has few lights and a screen, it takes billions in R&D ? Your opnion is naturally fooled with a few gadgets. Any person with a tiny bit of common sense would understand that charging $1500 more than competition can't be justified with R&D only. Especially with a job mechanism that has been existing for 11 years, and CDJ players that are 100% of plastic. That's why this is hilariously quaint.

BTW : I don't really give a shit about Pioneer pricing, i'll pick 2k's soon anyway.
    I can't tell if you're trolling or you've never actually opened up a CDJ or DJM, since you think that CDJs are actually "100% plastic," I'm assuming the latter. Pioneer's engineering is some of the most intuitive I've ever seen in an electronics company. Virtually every single switch and seam on the units are designed to be as durable and ergonomic as possible. The cue switches on DJMs, one of the highest use switches on the unit, are mounted on the chassis, in the centre of the unit, under the dust plate, covered by a catch cup built into and surrounding the button, all mounted under the faceplate. The switch is then actuated by a rod on the fulcrum of the button, poking into the heart of the unit. The result? Virtually indestructible cue switches, that still have the lightest touch around, and most of the Pioneer switches follow a similar design. Behringer just puts a PCB under a faceplate, and loosely mounts some buttons on top of it, that's the company you're talking about when you say a design is "quaint."

A products cost doesn't consist of pure "materials and manufacturing" and "R&D," virtually every single element of the product chain is implemented in the cost of the unit. Service and support, product distribution, advertising, promotion, and dozens of other things all have their cost built in to the cost of a unit. Rekordbox alone was made by a contracted company, and is essentially given out for free, that development cost a lot of money, but isn't directly bringing revenue in. Im curious what "few gadgets" are anything close to the 10lb slab of engineering, technology, and premium quality parts that is the CDJ-2000, that don't have an equally high end price. But realistically, I think Chinese shit the likes of Behringer, Gemini and Numark products with the "let's make a feature list and built it to a price point" methodology have seriously warped our expectations for a product's cost.