Black Macbook w/ Kontrol S2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Black Macbook w/ Kontrol S2

Hello. I will be purchasing a Kontrol S2 either today or order it through DJTT. My question is I currently have a Toshiba Satellite A665 with i3 and 8g of ram. I am looking to switch to using Mac and I am wondering if this black Macbook would work. I am on a budget and am opting for an older Macbook to get my feet wet with using the OS. Should I just use my current PC or go for the Macbook? Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

It might work, but that Macbook is fairly old-hat, so I wouldn't risk it if I were you, your PC will probably perform better.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Wizard

I had a 2006 black macbook pro with 2gb of ram , 2ghz Core Duo and i managed to run traktor 1 perfectly and traktor 2 with a bit higher latency .

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The spec on the macbook is fine for an s2 & playing out with, but thats a seriously exaggerated price if you were planning to buy from that site.

The "Blackbook" was discontinued oct 2008 ... so no way i'd pay more than $300-$350 for one in perfect nick no matter how much of a fanboy I'm accused of being.

You should be able to pick up one of the unibody white MacBooks ones (or even unibody alu or first gen MBP) models for around $500-$600 in almost pristine condition, a white one you might possibly get ones still under warranty (add applecare if its running out to cover it for 2 more years), which would be much better bet.

Your toshiba - if its maintained and properly configured would be streaks ahead of that model macbook.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The MB063LL/A is 2.16ghz which is fine but it only has 1GB RAM which is not enough and the max that model can take is 2GB.
    Note: That model has 2 x 512 Ram modules installed so to upgrade to 2GB you will have to buy 2 x 1GB modules. That adds to the cost.

i think its overpriced for an oldish Macbook.

You can get better, cheaper.

Default MacBook Air

I popped into to test out Traktor in an Apple Store the other day. Downloaded the Demo on an 11" Macbook Air.

Loaded up four decks, turned on all 16 effects, included master tempo on all.
    Wacked up loads of knobs and chucked the latency to 192.
    The LOAD meter was only half full.
    I left all four tracks playing like that for about 5 mins. Even checked the CPU Meter in Disk Activity. Couldn't believe it. It was as if it was a barely trying.
    I know what my next mac is going to be.

If your hearts set on buying a black MacBook get a 2.4ghz model that comes with 2gb of ram which you can upgrade to 4gb

That's what I use to run tsp2 with no problems

The black MacBooks are pretty rare and seem to hold their value,
    As op say you could get a newer MacBook/pro for better money

The one in the link you posted is expensive you can get a better spec for your money
    2x Technics 1200's - Xone 92 -
    MidiFighter Classic x2 - TSP2 - Audio 10 - Black MacBook

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I popped into to test out Traktor in an Apple Store the other day. Downloaded the Demo on an 11" Macbook Air.

Loaded up four decks, turned on all 16 effects, included master tempo on all.
    Wacked up loads of knobs and chucked the latency to 192.
    The LOAD meter was only half full.
    I left all four tracks playing like that for about 5 mins. Even checked the CPU Meter in Disk Activity. Couldn't believe it. It was as if it was a barely trying.
    I know what my next mac is going to be.
    Yeah but the MacBook air it's the one the OP has asked about and it's SIGNIFICANTLY more money!!

Id go with Karlos and Deevey. You can get Higher spec macs for that price. Id shop around a bit first. Your windows laptop is more that sufficient in the meantime and the spec on that machine will run Traktor and your s2 like a boss!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Convert

Cool. Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I'll use my current laptop for the time being to get myself acquainted with becoming a dj and use the extra cash to pickup some studio monitors. Looking forward to this journey. Thanks again.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wise choice. Too many people make rash buys and end up regretting it.
    Get what you NEED when you NEED it and get it for the right price.

Everyone around here will give you good, unbiased advice and they always consider your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast