How to construct a mixtape - need clearness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How to construct a mixtape - need clearness

Hey guys. I've been having my traktor kontrol S4 for about five months now. I have this concern about how you should construct your mixtapes. Every mixtape I hear, made by a professional, is usally a very essential mixtape, very basic. Is that what people appreciate most? Don't people like when you spice it up and do some wild things in the mixtape? Every mixtape I've heard on www.beatmyday.com has this essential mix - feeling. I've figured that it's more about the music than the transitions.

What is your thoughts of this matter? Are you supposed to spice up your mixtape live, when you're at a club and just make these very basic transitions at home?

Please check my mixtape out and tell me if it's essential, "spicy ( by spicy I mean wild), or some of both. What can I improve?
    http://soundcloud.com/jackhellberg/final

btw, I tried it in the mixes and production thread but no one answered

http://soundcloud.com/jackhellberg/final

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

For me when I'm sitting at a computer listening to mixes I don't want the slathered with FX and all kinds spicy tricks. And just because you can't tell the DJ's doing something doesn't mean they're not doing something.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I'm in the same boat, been wanting to get some stuff out there but a lot of times my recordings are too much. Just need to take it down a notch, and I think i'll be ok, and also make it more about the music.

Tech Guru

What do you mean by mixtape? Is this just a mix or you looking for feedback on how to make a demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack H View Post
    I've figured that it's more about the music than the transitions.
    It's ALWAYS about the music more than the transitions, or at least it should be.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    It's ALWAYS about the music... or at least it should be.
    Amen.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Wizard

Okey guys, but maybe You could check my mixtape out and tell me what you think of the transitions, not the music. The music , I know that in order to get gigs, I have to start playing shittier music I dont like. But please check the transitions, so I will know how to structure my next mixtape. Again, Im not trying to get views by this post, I want to progress.

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jack H View Post
    Okey guys, but maybe You could check my mixtape out and tell me what you think of the transitions, not the music. The music , I know that in order to get gigs, I have to start playing shittier music I dont like. But please check the transitions, so I will know how to structure my next mixtape. Again, Im not trying to get views by this post, I want to progress.

Cheers guys
    That's really funny as it's the exact opposite of what I meant. You don't HAVE to play shittier songs to get gigs. Start your own night, build a fanbase on the music you love to play. You can have the best transitions and tricks in the world but unless the music is good it don't mean shit. I'll give your mix a listen when I've got some time and get back to you
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

Thanks man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast