Cheap ways to get more vinyl?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Cheap ways to get more vinyl?

I know a lot of people use discogs but how do you get your wax?

Tech Guru

Cheap is a relative term when you are talking about vinyl. What do you consider cheap? Vinyl prices have remained pretty steady over the years. The cheapest way would be at auction, record pools, or buying off dj's who have fully transitioned to digital.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

Cheap as in less than the price you would problay pay for a new record at the store

Tech Mentor

record vinyl shouldnt have a price. im upset @ you. i buy @ discogs and pay $15-$25 USD for vinyl + shipping. the ones i purchased that were older (in terms of years) were the ones least expensive. with your attitude you might as well go digital, cdj and save money.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Tech Wizard

I am digital as it it, Im just in love with the thought of unhooking the soundcard and rocking a party the way it started back in the day... Only reason I'm pinching pennies is that I'm a student making minimum wage unfortunately

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    i buy @ discogs and pay $15-$25 USD for vinyl + shipping.
    that's probably a lot more than you need to pay. why purchase new vinyl at discogs? you're just giving a rent to someone who is ordering the vinyl online only with the intention of reselling them on discogs with a nice markup.

you have the luxury of living in a city which has a lot of great record stores. the last time i was in nyc, i was at various superb stores: halcyon and dope jams in brooklyn and A1 and academy in the city. apparently you are pretty emotional about these issues. for someone like you, wouldn't it make sense to support your local record stores (and save some money, too)?

---

@OP: Discogs is a great place to buy used vinyl that you cannot find anywhere else. but often, you won't get the best deals on discogs. discogs is great because it has this comprehensive database and nice interface to go along with its marketplace (which is pretty comprehensive when it comes to underground stuff, too). but expect to pay market prices at discogs for used vinyl. expect to pay above market prices for new vinyl. many sellers on discogs are resellers which buy their stuff at or slightly below retail prices--they still wanna earn. most B&M record stores sell over Discogs as well. but, like every seller, they have to pay a 6% commission to Discogs for each sale which means their prices on Discogs are higher than their in-store prices.

with a bit of patience, you can find awesome deals on ebay, craigslist, and at record fairs (if those exist where you are). new records i would just order at online record stores. idk what are the best us-based online stores. here in europe, juno and djshop are pretty good.
    Last edited by rgtb; 02-05-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Tech Mentor

Metrowax.com is pretty good for used vinyl. I've ordered from them alot, sometimes you find some gems.

They also have 'wax packs' where you can get 20 random records for about 10 bucks.

search CL for people dumping their collections. You can get literally hundred of records from guys dumping it. I saw a guy recently selling like 70-80 records for like 100 bucks the other day on CL. All old trance, house, and techno.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    Metrowax.com is pretty good for used vinyl. I've ordered from them alot, sometimes you find some gems.

They also have 'wax packs' where you can get 20 random records for about 10 bucks.
    you sir just made my month! my creative hunger is satisfied. nothin better than workin with new stuff, and trying to make something on the fly. this is the most killer deal ive ever seen!!!!!

Life has new meaning...

Metrowax.com is such a cool site! less choices for sure but the prices are affordable!
    i can tolerate the shipping charges though, for 7 records starting at $7.45.

stopped digging at discogs a year ago due to insane shipping prices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast