Syncing two macs running traktor pro 2 via MIDI over network?

Default Syncing two macs running traktor pro 2 via MIDI over network?

So I'm trying to figure this out. We are connected via the same network and in audio midi setup created a network midi session which we are both connected to each others computers on. Now I'm having a hard time figuring out how to sync traktor pro 2. What am I missing?

hmm I set it up in devices and got them kind of working but now the midi clock is going all over the place on the slave machine

edit- it was the wifi. an adhoc network was better but still not useable. I need to figure out how to do it hard wired I guess
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 02-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Anyone? Through ethernet the tempo on the salve machine still kept fluctuating. When the master tempo was 126 on mine the tempo of the slave macbook was showing around 125.3bpm and would go up and down by .2. It was better than before over wifi where it was going wild from like 110bpm-130bpm but I was hoping to get it working with ethernet at least.

I created a network midi session that we joined through the apple utility then created generic midi devices in each traktor device manager with midi in on one selected to the apple Network Session 1 and midi out on the other to Network Session 1 and it would receive the signal it just wouldn't stabilize at the right bpm.

it will always probably fluctuate a bit. when you send midi clock it's actually sending 24 'ticks' per quarter note and the time between those ticks on the slave machine is used to work out the bpm. i suspect it's never going to be rock solid going over wifi.

a fluctuation of 0.2 seems pretty good tho. i've just put some midi clock code into midimasher and when the bpm is set to 140 in traktor it seems to fluctuate between 140.6 and 139.7, but i guess i just need to take an average of those 2 values in my code. plus this is the first time i've really looked into midi clock stuff so i might have screwed the pooch somewhere...

edit: a fluctuation of +/- 0.2 from 125.3 isn't great if the master bpm is set to 126 tho... possibly some midi clock ticks getting dropped/lost?

also the time between each of the ticks sent from traktor doesn't seem to be equal from what i've seen.
    Last edited by zestoi; 02-05-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Hmm, yeah .2 wouldn't have been bad if it was between like 125.9 and 126.1 but when my laptop was sending 126bpm his laptop was getting around 125.2-125.4 so it wasn't really averaging around the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Hmm, yeah .2 wouldn't have been bad if it was between like 125.9 and 126.1 but when my laptop was sending 126bpm his laptop was getting around 125.2-125.4 so it wasn't really averaging around the right spot.
    if the error is with traktor's own decoding of time clock (which could be? i've only tried to sync ableton to traktor) you could always use some other simple app to send out the sync to both - at least then they'll both have the same error offset and then hopefully be in sync with each other.

only issue there would be that... when u press the 'sync' button in traktor it sends out a midi "start playing" message so that any slave knows where the start of the bar/beats is. not important if all u need is the bpm's to be synced ofc.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"