record vinyl grooves question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Exclamation record vinyl grooves question

my hand can be shakey sometimes. and not always but there are those times where by mistake i slide the needle/style across 4-6 grooves, but what i was trying to do is pick up the stylus and place it somewhere else within the track timeline.

-------------
    now i have a track on one of my vinyl record with a screwed up groove that just repeats itself and wont move on to the next groove unless i push it, is what i described above, the reason for this? it worked at first when i first received it.

------------
    what goes wrong or how am i harming both needle and vinyl when i slide the stylus by mistake when trying to pick it up to place it in default spot or change its position in the track timeline.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

check the tracking force...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    check the tracking force...
    its at full. i have it like all the way drilling in the vinyl. idk the correct way to explain the setting. but i tried lifting it up vs just putting it all the way down. its def the groove in the vinyl because i tried three different needles.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Too much tracking force can cause your skip resistance to be worse, just fyi. As for your current vinyl with the skip - I've read that you can try to fix it with a sewing needle and some care, so if that sounds appealing to you I'd suggest looking into that. As far as placing the needle without scratching the vinyl in the first place next time, try picking up the cartridge by the handle on the headshell (if it has one) and resting your pinky on the frame of the turntable to steady your hand while you place the needle. Alternatively, if you have a lever to keep the needle raised above the vinyl like the 1200s have you can raise the needle and move it into position then drop it with the lever instead of by hand to make things smoother.

Your tracking force is at full??? Back some of that off or you are going to mangle all of your records. Search google for how to balance your tonearm. The needle shouldn't have too much weight on it. Just enough to make the arm float, plus whatever your cart needs. (Around 2-2.5ish)
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    The needle shouldn't have too much weight on it. Just enough to make the arm float, plus whatever your cart needs. (Around 2-2.5ish)
    Depends on the cart, might be as much as 4 grams no problem.
    DJing Tips - The no B.S., no fluff guide to spinning records

Tech Convert

Loser

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post
    Loser
    i don't think that's the friendly tone that we try to cultivate here.

cutflow, i second what others wrote. a well-calibrated tonearm goes a long way...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    my hand can be shakey sometimes. and not always but there are those times where by mistake i slide the needle/style across 4-6 grooves, but what i was trying to do is pick up the stylus and place it somewhere else within the track timeline.

-------------
    now i have a track on one of my vinyl record with a screwed up groove that just repeats itself and wont move on to the next groove unless i push it, is what i described above, the reason for this? it worked at first when i first received it.

------------
    what goes wrong or how am i harming both needle and vinyl when i slide the stylus by mistake when trying to pick it up to place it in default spot or change its position in the track timeline.
    If you scratch across 4-6 grooves stop using vinyl.
    If you don't realise that this will ruin your record stop using vinyl.
    In other words STOP USING VINYL.

[youtube]gvBENMfjB0I[/youtube]
    I did it because it was fun. It's fun to do bad things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast