which MIDI cable to buy
    Tech Convert

Default which MIDI cable to buy

I am going to buy a MIDI cable for my behringer ddm400 and was wondering if it mattered which one. I know that cables make the difference but i noticed that some have a Y split and some are singles. The DDM4000 has 3 ports for MIDI in out and thru, not sure how that works yet. I plan to run my mixer from my laptop. Do i need the y cable.

You'll need two midi cables - one for output and one for input. This assumes you have a soundcard/midi card that can accept an input from a midi cable.

to connect to your laptop you could just get one of those usb to midi (in+out) adapters, unless u already have midi ports on a soundcard or something; if so then buy 2 cables as keeb says.

OUT is any midi output from the mixer, IN is to control the mixer and THRU is just a copy of anything the mixer receives on it's IN port so you can daisy chain devices together.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

i dont have anything fancy yet, im just starting to understand MIDI, i knew my mixer had the ability just never messed with it. i am looking at just a cable that has midi on one end and usb on the other, hoping that i can connect the mixer and computer with nothing in between. i have traktor on my laptop. i have just seen 2 types on cables and dont understand how to connect them to the mixer.

Tech Convert

here is the Y cable

Tech Convert

back of ddm 4000

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    to connect to your laptop you could just get one of those usb to midi (in+out) adapters, unless u already have midi ports on a soundcard or something; if so then buy 2 cables as keeb says.

OUT is any midi output from the mixer, IN is to control the mixer and THRU is just a copy of anything the mixer receives on it's IN port so you can daisy chain devices together.
    just read your reply, thanks for the info. with that im assuming I need the Y cable with usb

Quote Originally Posted by KuBe View Post
    just read your reply, thanks for the info. with that im assuming I need the Y cable with usb
    yep. one of the 5din connectors on that usb to midi cable will be marked IN and one OUT. plug those two into the IN and OUT ports on your mixer (not sure which way round - will depend on the cable i guess, but usually an IN goes to OUT and vice versa). you won't need to use the THRU port on your mixer.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"