What kind of music to play early at a house party?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of music to play early at a house party?

So i generally play at house parties and stuff, and i'm turning it into a small business (18th birthday parties etc)

But the biggest issue for me at the moment is what music to play early in the night, when people are just floating around, chilling out, talking etc... I feel really weird if i play banging electro, or really popular stuff when no one is really in the mood to dance?

And ambient housey stuff or deep house or anything doesn't go down to well either...

I'm just a little lost as to what kind of stuff i should play in these kind of circumstances.

Cheers
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Save the heaters for later when they will have a better effect. First couple of hours is the time to play older stuff that's not a classic or brand new stuff no one has heard and isn't super familiar with.

It's kind of a hit to your ego not to throw down the hottest stuff you know will rock a crowd but no one will remember your set from early on... they WILL remember your set once it heats up.

Keep the good stuff in a special playlist so that you aren't tempted to play them too early.

Learn to play hiphop. As much as I hate Drake; it does wonders.

No hip hop imo. Its better late night as people dance around to it.

I just played a house party that went from 8-4am. I started with about 2-2-1/2 hours of Nu-disco and funky tracks. Got people in the mood, some recognizable stuff that they liked, then moved into a little bit house. By midnight I was playing house anthems and few banger, and then doing random cuts to really good classics Michael jackson, Salt N pepper, stuff that make the crowd go nuts. Threw a short hip-hop set in too. Then I could transition them into anything I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post

I just played a house party that went from 8-4am. I started with about 2-2-1/2 hours of Nu-disco and funky tracks. Got people in the mood, some recognizable stuff that they liked, then moved into a little bit house. By midnight I was playing house anthems and few banger, and then doing random cuts to really good classics Michael jackson, Salt N pepper, stuff that make the crowd go nuts. Threw a short hip-hop set in too. Then I could transition them into anything I wanted.
    This is exactly what I do. Nu-disco and funky house while people are just standing around talking. During peak time it's dance floor bangers and some classics. "Boom Boom Boom Boom" By The Vengaboys kills it everytime.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

I just play some tech house...and some slow prog mixed with commercial vocals. Disco is good too no1 really cares about the music at the start of a house party

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post
    "Boom Boom Boom Boom" By The Vengaboys kills it everytime.
    ??really??

I always like to start the night off with some 90's grunge rock. Alice in chains, Nirvana, STP. etc. I find it usually gets people amped up and ready to party.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

funky/up beat/house etc

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    funky/up beat/house etc
    That. Just play stuff with a happy, eclectic vibe, it makes people happy and getting the urge to dance.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast