The Novation Launchpad

Default The Novation Launchpad

Hello Everyone,

I just got myself a novation launchpad to use with Ableton. I am searching for other launchpad users who may be able to link good online resources to video tutorials they found to be very helpful or useful in learning how to utilize the launchpad for live performance.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tech Convert

Hey I would look at the traktor bible for traktor lay outs and for ableton search the dsp project. The guy on there has great explanations on the functions for ableton. Enjoy!

I've got a launchpad, and its the most fun piece of gear I've got. What are you wanting to know in particular?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I have a launchpad as well there isn't to many tutorials i've seen but after watching a couple basic ones you get the grasp of it. Do you plan on using it solely with ableton or are you incorporating it with Traktor as well? I use mine with traktor and love it.

Speak to S4racen on ALDJ (and here...)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

i love my launchpad so much i bought a 2nd one

i also have a multi page mapping for traktor using my midimasher for the launchpad. full led feedback on everything including page switches, twitch style slicer, virtual 4banks and normal mode midifighters and a virtual mixer...

i've spent a lot of time coding for it, so can help with any midi related launchpad stuff if needed
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Thanks for the responses folks!

As far as what I'm wanting to know I guess I was just looking to see how other people used theirs. I know there are a lot of youtube videos and I haven't gotten around to watching many of them, but most of them are rather uninspired. I'm looking for interesting tips and tricks as well, for example this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkvq_...7KVayfP1v2PUnG

That shows you how to get ableton to feed midi notes back into the launchpad to get visual feedback when using drum racks.

Stuff like that.

I will not be using it with Traktor. Just Live and the launchpad and many, many well prepared clips.

Quote Originally Posted by mcforan23 View Post
    search the dsp project. The guy on there has great explanations on the functions for ableton.
    +1

He has a few videos that helped me get the most out of my launchpad like switching between regular launchpad mode and automap via hardware. This potentially doubles the amount of controls the launchpad has to offer.
    EVERYONE WHO OWNS A LAUNCHPAD SHOULD KNOW THIS

Heres the link

Awesome! Thanks!

he does have some cool videos, i remember watching a bunch before choosing to buy my first launchpad.

personally i like being able to just switch from any page to any other by just holding down one or more buttons tho that trick also looks useful.

i use midimasher to map pages 1-8 from the buttons at the top and can access extra pages by pressing any two buttons down together at the top. it's simple enough to then make each page send/recv different cc/notes for each button giving u 32 pages that are very easy to define across the available 16 midi channels. i guess only pages 1 to 17 are easy to switch to tho, after that you'd need to define pages that u get to by pressing 3 buttons down if only using the top row for page switching. not sure i'd need more than 17 pages tho

midimasher is not traktor specific, it just mashes midi in various ways.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"