A Little help with my First Club Gig

Default A Little help with my First Club Gig

Hey guys ,
    Brand new to the forum and I'm looking for your guys expertise. I have my first club gig tommorrow night. I've been spinning for about a year and finally ready to jump into the club scene.

So at my gig tmrw, I need to bring my own setup. The currently have a pioneer djm 800 mixer. What I'll be bringing;

MacBook Pro running Traktor 2.03
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Numark Mixdeck

Now, before it's said, I know the mixdeck isn't a great setup. But it's an ok midi controller and serves its purpose. The only thing I am concerned about is how is it going to sound on a club system?

Second, Ive been reading a little online and stumbled across a post that said I would need a soundcard (audio 2 at least) to run the X1. Is this correct? Wouldnt the mix decks soundcard do the exact same thing at home for me?

Lastly, so I don't look like an idiot when I'm doing soundcheck tommorrow , how to I plug my mixdeck into the djm 800. And when it's plug in(say to channel 1), I would still just use the mixer on the mixdeck , not the djm 800. The dim will basically take the sound from the mixdeck(deck a & b) and distribute through their system...

Thanks for helping me out guys....

you dont need a soundcard if the mixdeck has one.. the x1 will work just fine with trakor.

just plug the main out of the newmark into one channel of the djm800 and mix on your console..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Does the X1 work at home, together with the Mixdeck? Then it will work here as well.
    Just plug your output into one of the channels of the DJM800, leave that channel open and you can do all the EQing stuff on your mixdeck.

Make sure the gain levels are okay, so not low at the one and ridiculously high at the other etc.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Thanks for the response guys....

Yeah the setup works beautiful at home. Everything is mapped to my style and no glitches. Ill make sure my gain is all equal across the board.

Do you think the mixdeck will keep up with their system? Will I need to change any audio settings in traktor (latency , ect....) or just keep it how it is ?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit iLLz View Post
    Thanks for the response guys....

Yeah the setup works beautiful at home. Everything is mapped to my style and no glitches. Ill make sure my gain is all equal across the board.

Do you think the mixdeck will keep up with their system? Will I need to change any audio settings in traktor (latency , ect....) or just keep it how it is ?
    Latency shouldn't be an issue. My brother ran a similar setup with his S2 into my DDM4000, and it worked like a charm.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "keeping up with their system," but there should ideally be a house sound guy who is in charge of making sure you're loud enough/etc. Keep it how it is, but be prepared to adjust some output gains if need-be. It shouldn't be a problem though.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Number one rule... Relax and have fun !! ! ! ! ! !

Number 2 rule, make sure the crossfader on the mixer is on the channel your numark is plugged into.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

^^ This. Might save you a little bit of trouble.

I'd take it a step further and see i you can deactivate the crossfader.

You will start sweating if you bump the crossfader and it takes you some time to realize that your setup is still working ok and the unfamiliar crossfader is the source of your issues.

ALSO!

If your plugging your stuff into a different power source the the speakers. There might be a ground-loop which will cause a hum. You might wanna stop at your local electronic store and grab one of these. That is, if your using RCAs

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=2700054

I'm not entirely sure what causes it other than multiple electronics connected together with different power sources.

I know when I plugged my S4 I used to own into a djm-800 at a club it would hum when nothing was playing. Adds alot-o-noise to the sig-n-al.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Wizard

So, how did your first gig go?