Serato vs Traktor. More like Rane vs NI? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Mos,

Just a quick clarification. You can't scratch Ableton clips in the bridge. You can have vinyl control over them (pitch) but ableton sound engine does not allow backwards movements...so no scratching clips. i think that's why they used TT's in the Kontrol F1 vid and did a spin back.

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/371081

Everything else +1
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Ahh…k. Never used it, so I was going off memory.

Point taken. Still, that's a very small difference, IMHO. Plus, it saves me money personally since that means there's no real reason to bother with Ableton…just manually beat match a groove box…which means I might actually sell my Ableton license instead of letting it collect dust.

Tech Guru

Yeah i haven't used it yet either, but have been looking into it and caught this in some of the threads.

From a actual bridge user, you can back spin and you can do some nice stutter sound. I was the biggest fan boi for Traktor, but they lost me as a customer when it comes to support. And all these freaking updates that messed up my grids & cue points.

I jumped ship to SSL, and I love it. I owned a Rane 57 & SL-1 & SL-3, Video-SL, Dicers, Ableton and recently picked up a VCI-300 for itch.

The reason I love using the Serato s/w is cause its plug and play and my library works with SSL, Itch, and Intro. Also it got me back to doing what I love,....playing music. I didnt have to lose my mind over beatgrid that floated around, or mapping and using a modifier required the mapping to lanuch a rock ship.

I go back to saying this, rock what you got, I primarly hated on SSL at first cause I was being hipster and I was using traktor before it was cool. Plus it freaked me out with the screen forze when loading a track on SSL.

And all this crap that the traktor timecode is tighter, it is, but not by much. I have tried both, and I own a audio 8 to prove this. I can report back that I can get the SSL TC to be about +90% of whats traktor has. Just cause Q-bert made a video stating otherwise i would put gladly post a video showing that all that Q-bert had to do was lower the threshold on the TC for SSL to be smoother.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    From a actual bridge user, you can back spin and you can do some nice stutter sound.
    Sweet. Would you happen to be able to check and see if a drum machine as a plugin works the same or does it just keep playing straight through? (specifically, Maschine if you have it). I'm just curious. It wouldn't matter 'till I bought a 3rd deck, a bigger table, and an SL3 anyway.

The reason I love using the Serato s/w is cause its….got me back to doing what I love,....playing music.
    Also known as Winning.

And I might be a little

yay…DJF is back up, so I can start hot-linking their smileys again!!!

Whatever other things people have to say, DJF has better smileys.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abercrombie View Post
    I believe you are having difficulty understanding what I mean in terms of options.
    . If you are having difficulty understanding what I wrote just ask. Don't assume.
    Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..? Your tone is a bit aggressive..?

Just cus people don't agree with doesn't mean they don't understand you.

This whole notion that Traktor = Dance and SSL = HipHop is as outdated as the notion that SSL sells more in the US and that Traktor is only popular in Europe.

Jesus guys, if your understanding of this is stuck in 2005 then step back from the keyboard.

Its true that Traktor was originally aimed at dance DJ's for the simple reasons that:
    Its made by a company that was making Reaktor and production software.
    It was a midi controlled application.
    It's made in Berlin by a company who's co-founder went on to make Ableton.
    It was natural for them to make a midi controlled application.

After FS with Stanton finished they enabled DVS functionality to Traktor 2.5.
    They developed Traktor Scratch with the Audio 8 and everything changed but by this time SSL had taken a stronghold especially with HipHop DJ's but more so with anyone wishing to use timecode.

Serato made SSL and that was it. They did it better than FS and it was a success.
    Itch is not a success, yet. That may change, it might start out selling Traktor, but it will take time, just like it took time for Traktor Scratch to take a foot hold with hiphop scratch DJs.

Its been a good 7 years since then. Things have changed.

In those 7 years everything as changed apart from the view of people that think Traktor = Dance (tell that to Qbert / Craze / Shiftee).

However the majority of Hip Hop DJs choose Serato (Scratch) for the above reasons.
    Not true in the UK at all.

And a final point. Why is it that people assume that DVS DJs are all scratchers. They arent. There are plenty of DVS house Dance DJs.

Someone mentioned Richie Hawtin using Traktor in its early days... He used timecode.

There are far too many outdated and mistakenly perpetuated opinions on all this and with no disrespect meant at all, most of them come from the US and the biggest issue for me is that I 'have' to sound like a bloody Traktor fanboy to say all this when in fact i think SSL is awesome and Itch is pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    ...I 'have' to sound like a bloody Traktor fanboy to say all this when in fact i think SSL is awesome and Itch is pretty damn good.
    I love you even though a part of me hates you cause you got a serato shirt.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I love you even though a part of me hates you cause you got a serato shirt.
    And i got it off Nik39 the Serato Forum Guru. He gave me a nice black Serato bag as well

He's a cool guy. Not sure what he thought of me. I asked him a question about the VCI 400 (at BPM) and he was like "I dunno im here with Serato" then he noticed my Traktor Bible tshirt and said "are you Karlos" i said "er yeah"... he goes, "Im nik39" ... and i remembered we had a little biddy row on the Serato forum sometime ago, nothing major... we giggled and did a man hug and it was all peachy.

I really wanted to say to Rainer "that guys a tosser" but I couldnt, cus he's not.

Aight So I got some answers and like more questions but thats how the drill goes... The thread is not about which one came first or is better or have best DVS support. That subject can go lke Republicans vs Democrats and frankly I dont care. This is strictly business, corporations that want to take your money. NI with their product Traktor and Serato with their product SSL which they will exchange for your money to pay their things. MONEYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Ahem, that said, first I really think controllerism is booming becasue many companies have jumped ship to making controllers most importantly, Pioneer. From having like zero controllers they now have like 3 of them. If they are good/cool or not thats another ball game. Check NAMM for the last 3 years and you will notice a lot of the DJ stuff is MIDI for controllerist, after all theres just so much features you can add to an analog TT...

You gotta admit that if controllerism wasnt doing great we wouldnt get so many S4 clones and other similar controllers including the new shift towards modular equipment. The paradigm is moving controlerism to merge it with production. Maybe yes you still see a lot of SSL is clubs but for every DJ spinning in a club (1 buy) there may be like 2-3 kids in the dance floor with Traktor (more users). If they got the software off a torrent, well, the dj at the club could have bought his Rane mixer off Craigslist.

Serato is a reputable company. Thats a granted. Now, why their push aint that too strong towards other well proved to be green pastured fields thats beyond me. Well their business may be Vestax,Pioneer, A&H, ETC buying the licenses off Serato instead of public but, whatever, A sell is a sell it come from A&H or Serato.

The vast majority of DJ companies make controllers with almost all of them making new and interesting models every year not mentioning the boutique makers. Now Rane, their mixers are legendary and I would love them making a controller but whatever their reason you have to acknowledge they are allowing themselves not to make more money by not diversifying their shit. What is stopping them to one day do a meeting and say "Gentlemen, we need to make our software more competitive versus Traktor. We need to reach beyond the club and towards the bedroom DJ. THose people will get blinded by pretty lights that peers like Novation, Pioneer and Vestax can make to our specifications. You, 'Mr Creative Director', make a list of the differences between our thing and NI thing and add better things. You 'Mr Head of programing', take that list and program that shit. You Mr Marketing, take that program and tease the shit out of it thru twitter and facebook. Also do some contest to further take the word out. I want all this done by NAMM 2014. We are reaching for world dj domination." Like that more or less.

Whatever the number of clubs with Serato, many of them dont use anything at all beyond 2 CDJ and a mixer so those that use Serato many are working DJ's unless club has it's own Serato laptop (which I havent seen ever). Go!
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post

Ahem, that said, first I really think controllerism is booming becasue many companies have jumped ship to making controllers most importantly, Pioneer.
    Because it's cheap. That's why. Before if you wanted to get into DJing you had to by turntables, later on you had to by CDJ's. Now you can buy a 200 mixtrack and throw a party......that's not neccisarily a good thing as VERY few controllers stand up to the professional grade and tactile feel of "real" gear. That's why major clubs continue to have pioneer CDJ and mixer installs. Others will argue that because of the lower cost folks that may never have DJ'd now have an opportunity.

The controller market like you said is focused on the bedroom DJ. The pioneer controllers are lowest quality in their line up with the T1 being a bust, and we'll see what happens with the Ergo. I have a DDJ-S1 and like it --- but it's no CDJ 2000.

I don't think Rane will enter the controller market. Serato with Itch and SSL is not set up that way. Also, who's to say they make a controller that is any good. Look at what happened with A&H and the Xone DX.

I also think the use of a controller and "controllerism" are two very different things. The last set of Itch controllers (aside for Twitch) are set up very well for mobile DJ's. XLR outs, Booth Out, 2 Mic/Aux inputs, etc. and there is a market for that working DJ as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast