Serato vs Traktor. More like Rane vs NI?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Serato vs Traktor. More like Rane vs NI?

Im no Serato expert (Im not even 100% sure Rane owns Serato) but I have understood them as "that other dj software". Anyways it goes like this;

I have always wondered why Serato/Rane wont just compete more aggressively with NI adding a more direct controller alternatives to what NI makes with Traktor and controllers like the S4,S2,F1,X1 even adding the very well perceived compatibility with other products like Machine. I think they have very good products with Itch and adding features to make it a real contender to Traktor wouldn't be that hard.

Yes they have a strong DVS following but controllerism is booming and I think they do have the expertise, money and fame to really go at it. Having the Twitch, Xone DX and the NS6/7 is nice but not enough to really make a dent on NI armor, kinda like they are followers rather than trend setters or 'why they wont simply produce a controller under their brand rather than having another company make it', nothing wrong with that, but really work internally and make something ambitious. The Bridge has a lot of potential but looks like their internal handshaking process and creative direction wont just make them stand out.

If Rane could make a controller with the build quality of their mixers, compatible with serato/itch + more features and make it cost less than $1000 I think NI would get worried about their dormant adversary. Maybe this whole thing is perception but that same perception has quite a lot of folks like me creaming their pants at any NI teaser which translate to quite several thousands of dollars.

I love Traktor but I would try Serato/Itch in a heartbeat when I see something that makes me go "ohh" and "ahh". The Twitch is as close as I have gotten to it but besides that... *crickets*.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    I have always wondered why Serato/Rane wont just compete more aggressively with NI adding a more direct controller alternatives

Rand does not own Serato. Their business model is VERY different that NI's and they stick to what they do. Their controller line up competes with and targets a different user group. Remember you can't use Itch with a cheap controller like you can with Traktor either, the license for the software is purchased with the hardware and it's a strong line up of controllers that have the best platter control of any controllers currently on the market. Also, Video is about to hit Itch in the next month or two, something NI does not offer.

If you go to the Serato forum there are very few DJ's there that care about "controllerism". It's a different market, and a different business model.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Also worth remembering that Traktor is just one part (smallish) of the NI stable.
    They must make a gazillion more euros that Serato could imagine to make.

NI have the money to do all this stuff. Maybe Serato dont.

I dont suppose that stops Serato letting other companies use their software for use with controllers etc which brings you back to the question, do Serato want to do what NI do?
    Maybe they are happy doing what they do. They do it well. Why change.

I think the consumer gets too wrapped up in what he wants from a company and forgets that the company may have its own ethos and road map which might not be the same.

Just my guess.

Tech Mentor

In the U.S. Serato is more popular and is considered THE software.

Serato is a software company. They don't make any controllers.

Rane is an audio hardware company. Rane makes interfaces for Serato and gives them a cut of each interface sold to pay for the software, which Serato programs to use the Rane interfaces as a hardware dongle.

Rane also doesn't make controllers. Numark, Vestax, Pioneer, and a couple others make controllers, and it's up to them whether or not they make one that appeals to controllerists.

But here's the thing. You say controllerism is booming. I say it's an internest movement that has no real motion behind it. I've never seen a controllerist in a club. I've seen people using controllers, but I've owned as many X1s as I've ever seen. And the only other controller I've ever seen in a club was Sasha's Maven. Oh, and one guy who uses a UC33e for Ableton. And an APC40 for Ableton.

Seriously…controllerism is a tiny market that–for now–is stuck in bedrooms and youtube. A few of the hip hop guys are doing DMC-like routines with it, but they're still a very small minority.

And SSL has a couple big features that make things easier for working DJs, not the least of which is full iTunes integration. In my experience, it also runs lower latency because the software is just doing less.

I'm not really ragging on NI. I used their stuff for a while and honestly enjoyed it. But going back to SSL has felt like coming home again. But then again, I'm probably exactly their target market. I've bought SSL 3 times now because I keep trying other things and I keep going back.

Serato (Scratch) was always aimed for the Hip Hop DJ. That is the market Serato focuses on. The company tries to keep things more traditional by using a Turntable or CD player as a Midi controller.

Native Instruments offers a wide variety of options on Traktor, which cannot be implemented on a Turntable/CD Player. So it is more logical for Native Instruments to design a controller that will enable the user to take full advantage of the software.

Both offer strong and weak points, which will make the DJ, choose one over the other based on his or her requirements.

Tech Guru

ok let me explain the serato vs NI business models.

NI targets end users (dj's) directly. thats their customer base.

Serato on the other hand, their target is corporations. Their customers are Rane, Pioneer, Novation, Allen and Heath, Vestax, Numark, and Denon. For every itch or serato controller they ship, they have to pay Serato for 1 license. This is why the software is freely downloadable from the Serato website without you having to pay for it. The hardware basically acts as a dongle for the software. Serato handles the support and updates. They've basically solved the piracy problem with their business model. for every controller out there that supports their software, serato got paid.

NI on the other hand, makes money from software sold to end users (and a small percentage licensed for controllers (for example, the ddj-t1).

both have their pluses and minuses. but yeah, i think serato is a much smaller company. although, they might be just as lucrative as NI because of how their business model is.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    In the U.S. Serato is more popular and is considered THE software.
    Oh no not this again. Yes its being used by more established DJs but Trakor is outselling SSL by fist fulls the world over including the US. Do i have the stats to back that up, not really or rather not that im gonna put on here. Take it or leave it.

I really dont think anyone has got a clue just how well Traktor is actually selling .
    Seriously this US domination by SSL story ran dry a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    both have their pluses and minuses. but yeah, i think serato is a much smaller company. although, they might be just as lucrative as NI because of how their business model is.
    As i said, Traktor is the smallest part of the NI stable. Worth considering as Traktor is selling UNREAL numbers, it still stands in the shadows of other NI software.
    This is why NI have the money to do what Serato dont (perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abercrombie View Post
    Native Instruments offers a wide variety of options on Traktor, which cannot be implemented on a Turntable/CD Player. So it is more logical for Native Instruments to design a controller that will enable the user to take full advantage of the software.
    Not correct really.
    Traktor is Traktor. You just need to buy the licence so that it can be used with TT/CD or controller.
    Every person that owns Traktor Pro has exactly the same software on their machine. Its the same executable. The licence unlocks the features.

Serato have 2 different applications. SSL and Itch. They are developed separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Serato have 2 different applications. SSL and Itch. They are developed separately.
    And hopefully one day they will be one and the same... what a lovely thought.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    And hopefully one day they will be one and the same... what a lovely thought.
    I hope that's what they have in store next. You have a standard offline player and if you plug in a rane box you get "serato" with timecode control. If you plug in a current Itch controller you get "serato" mapped to a controller. What this would allow is an upgrade path for folks that purchased controllers that work with Serato DJ Intro. Would be pretty neat if it was a standard product for both sets of users.

I'm sure Traktor is outselling SSL/Itch. It's cheaper. You can get TP fairly cheap and you can get a cheap controller to use it with. It's not a big investment for the bedroom DJ or even the experienced DJ that wants to try it out. SSL on the other hand is at least 450.00-500.00 for JUST the Rane box that can't be used with a cheap controller. So perhaps the upgrad path for Intro will make a dent in that market group.

I will say though, living in Miami SSL is the club standard around here. There are a number of popular local EDM guys that use Traktor, but it's a small group. I see more really big name headliners that come into town using Traktor than I do local guys.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast