Moving from MIDI controler to FULL set up
    Tech Wizard

Default Moving from MIDI controler to FULL set up

I am using a NS6 and have been for 6 months. I am not looking to go buy something today or anything but am interested in upgrading. I see the benefits of having a real mixer and separate decks. Not to mention unfortunately the perception of a guy with just a MIDI controller is less than desired. I know it's all about performance and if you good your good doesn't matter what you use. My main question is can I buy a external deck and still use one deck on my NS6 while my mixer controls the external one? And visa versa use a external mixer to control my decks on the midi controller. I guess I lack the knowledge. Also as a side note I know that the NS6 will control the external deck but I am asking is it practical more or less? I have never seen it done that way. My goal is to piece together a set of gear instead of dropping the 6k on it in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaided View Post
    I am using a NS6 and have been for 6 months. I am not looking to go buy something today or anything but am interested in upgrading. I see the benefits of having a real mixer and separate decks. Not to mention unfortunately the perception of a guy with just a MIDI controller is less than desired. I know it's all about performance and if you good your good doesn't matter what you use. My main question is can I buy a external deck and still use one deck on my NS6 while my mixer controls the external one? And visa versa use a external mixer to control my decks on the midi controller. I guess I lack the knowledge. Also as a side note I know that the NS6 will control the external deck but I am asking is it practical more or less? I have never seen it done that way. My goal is to piece together a set of gear instead of dropping the 6k on it in one day.
    First off, your title is kind of off. A midi controller, such as a NS6 or S4, IS a full setup. Aside from that, whats the point of getting another mixer if you already have the NS6? If i were you i'd sell your NS6 when the new numark controller drops (the one with built in soundcard i believe and aluminium), get your hands on some turntables, and mix and match.

I think its more preference anyways. The midi all in one setup is great because it can easily be moved around, and honestly with all the easy integrations they have, its pretty awesome. Like Eche said, you have basically all you need in that, and you can just use an external soundcard and youre set.

Tech Wizard

Thank you for the input. I don't know really whats best. I just know a few fellow dj's and they told me to be taken seriously I need better gear.....

I mean if you are just djing, having a full setup looks cool and all, but you can do the same exact thing on a midi interface. Its not about what gear you have, its about your workflow and what works best for you. Never buy something that just looks cool but does nothing for you creatively.

Tech Wizard

But who doesn't want a DJM 900 and 2 CDJ 2000's? I guess that is mu goal. I have read a lot about them and some of the small capabilities are really nice. But I do agree it's all about what works best for you.

Tech Mentor

Anyone knows to be taken seriously you need to have 4 CDJ2000 with the DJM2000...jeeze...i thought that was covered in "I'm a Douche Bag Hater DJ that will tell anyone that doesnt use what i use is a joke 101 - For Beginner DJs"

Honestly bud the best setup is what works for you the best. Learning to play on ALL mediums is a great asset, if that means you want to pick up some CDJs and a mixer go right ahead...but dont think that Person A using CDJs is more established or more recognized than Person B using a controller.

Some BIG name DJ/Producers only use midi controllers...while other DJs only use CDJs...It is becoming more and more of a myth that you NEED to use this or that to do what you do.
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gapout View Post
    Anyone knows to be taken seriously you need to have 4 CDJ2000 with the DJM2000...jeeze...i thought that was covered in "I'm a Douche Bag Hater DJ that will tell anyone that doesnt use what i use is a joke 101 - For Beginner DJs"

Honestly bud the best setup is what works for you the best. Learning to play on ALL mediums is a great asset, if that means you want to pick up some CDJs and a mixer go right ahead...but dont think that Person A using CDJs is more established or more recognized than Person B using a controller.

Some BIG name DJ/Producers only use midi controllers...while other DJs only use CDJs...It is becoming more and more of a myth that you NEED to use this or that to do what you do.
    Thank you for the good advice. I feel better about using my NS6 and not feeling like an idiot. I suppose it is all about how you carry yourself. If I do it with confidence no one will question me.