Software that corrects mixtape mistakes?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Software that corrects mixtape mistakes?

So I've got two 1200's and a mixer and I want to record a mix onto my hi-fi CD recorder. Realistically it's nigh on impossible for me to do a full 70 minute set without making some mistakes.

Now, I was thinking it would be a lot more feasible for me to record it in two parts, ie. to spend ages getting the first part on tape perfectly. Then to record the second set in another session. I would then like to splice the two recordings together using software, but I can think of two problems with this.

1. The BPM is likely to be slightly different in both recordings.
    2. The volume will certainly be different in both.

Because lets face it, I can make a note of the last record having the gain at 12 O'Clock or the pitchfader on the left deck being at roughly +4.5 but those kind of notes arent very accurate. So is there a (preferably cheap) piece of software that can do this basic task of mixing these two files together, without midi hardware, and also without using key correction/ timestretching technology as I want it to sound like a proper deck?

I would guess this is a common practice as I've rarely heard any mistakes on supposedly 'live' DJ compilation CD'd from the 90's & 00's, they can't all have been recorded in 99 takes. For example Ministry of Sound used Pro tools to correct Judge Jules mistakes on his mix CD's a decade ago, but the bulk of the mixing was done naturally
    Last edited by DJ Millenium Falcon; 02-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Tech Convert

Audacity

You've got 3 options.

Option 1: Record the mix into pro tools (or another DAW, you could use Audacity for this) 1 track at a time. Basically, the way you do it is to use different audio tracks for each track and record the mix one track at a time, letting each track play out on its own track…then feed the last track back into your mixer and mix as you would live recording to a different track…if you screw up, delete the most recent track and try again. Basically…it doesn't print what you're doing onto disk until it's right.

Option 2: Use SSL+Ableton Bridge's mixtape feature. As far as mixers on the market, I think it only works right with the 68 and 57, though 2 or 3 new ones are about to hit the market. Also, you have to use SSL and own Ableton. But the editing is still a bit of a bitch.

Option 3: Practice. Most mixtapes are done in 1 take. It's way more trouble to multi-track them than to just do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sr711 View Post
    Audacity
    +1
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Mostapha in particular gave a comprehensive reply, thank you. Although I forgot to mention that my desktop PC is downstairs and my hi-fi is upstairs so recording live onto a PC is very impractical especially what with me not owning the cables & gadgets probably necessary to do this.

As for practice makes perfect, there are some tracks I'm using that are very hard to mix, not quite sure what it is about them as they are straight four to the floor, but they just sound awkward when you have them in one ear and more normal tunes coming from the speaker into the other ear, but you know how that goes. Suffice to say the chanceof recording the whole set perfectly is as likely as winning the lottery with these difficult tracks in the setlist.

I'll have to look into this Audacity programme.

Anyway, cheers for the help. It's after midnight in Europe, so I'm going to bed now.

Tech Mentor

hm, I thought mixtapes are done in one try. At least that's how I do it. Sounds kinda lame to produce the mixtape imo :/

that's the purpose of The Bridge...tssss
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by icb View Post
    hm, I thought mixtapes are done in one try. At least that's how I do it. Sounds kinda lame to produce the mixtape imo :/
    Personally I just do my mix tapes in one take, usually littered with mistakes but only I can ever really tell, especially if your using tracks people don't know too well.

Promo mixes however, I basically produce them using traktor and live, then work out recreating them on cdjs for live use by burning edits of songs.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Having some small mistakes (no trainwrecks) in your mixtape can help your audience relate to it better. When listening to a super-clean mix I'm always wondering whether it has been done in Live or Acid Pro.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast