Macbook and usb hub / power and juice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Macbook and usb hub / power and juice?

I have a Macbook 13 Core 2 duo 4mb ram / L2 Cache: 4 MB : and and running a Audio 8 Dj and VCI-100 on the usb ports.

All is working fine, but was wondering if any of you run a non powered usb hub cable to get more ports and how this works? I would like to run on the hub cable expander, the VCI-100 and a Korg NanoKontrol, and on the other free port, the Audio 8 Dj..Would this be ok, or suck too much juice?

Also, any suggestion on which is the stronger port?
    Last edited by claudek; 04-16-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

I have the same dilema. I have been hesitant with adding the usb hub even though the one I have has its own power supply.
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

How old is the Macbook? Reason I say this is that my G4 Powerbook does not work with non-powered USB hubs.

My first instinct is that if your vci-100 works from the USB supplied power, then you should be ok using a non-powered USB hub. I would add though, that running quite a few USB devices off of 1 USB port connected to a non-powered USB hub could add a huge drain on the power supplied to all the hub connected devices. So basically, for safety of the equipment and your set, I would run a powered USB hub.

Or you could get a Firewire to USB converter cable for the 1 extra device and not have to worry about power or a hub, if of course you aren't using your FW port.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    How old is the Macbook? Reason I say this is
    Or you could get a Firewire to USB converter cable for the 1 extra device and not have to worry about power or a hub, if of course you aren't using your FW port.
    Macbook is in the last generation of the plastic ones. I think the Firewire to USB thing is a good idea, but they work well?
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Because it captured my curriousity, I'm sad to say that after doing some research, the Firewire to USB "adapter" cable thing is only supported currently by windows XP. There is a company that makes an "embedded chip" FW to USB cable, but it is sold out and even if it was in stock it's $119, and used mostly for video applications. I would recommend a powered USB hub after that discovery.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

I dunno, I think the best idea maybe would be to power the VCI-100 or just get a powered usb hub, but my friend told me the Korg Nano takes very little power, so should not be even a problem to run 2 on one usb line and audio on another..I guess I can always try. I wonder if there is a USB power amount user application that tells if the juice is running too high out of the ports?
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

True. The VCI and Nano on the same hub shouldn't cause an issue.

Tech Guru

Anyone know if one hub/port is stronger than the other in terms of power?
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

dont mean to jump in all late...but I have the setup ur talking about..and it works well. The Nano KNTRL doesnt take up that much juice so I would say...Run ur A8 on the 1st USB port next to the firewire & the hub on the 2nd USB port. I tired it the other way and the vci looked like a x-mas tree.

1 problem ur going to run into is...the midi channel. You have to use scene #4 and you can use the 1st Row on the left, being that its stuck in Midi Ch 1. I've tried serveral work around with no luck. I also tried using the Korg Editor, but it only lets ur change the global settings on Nano Pad or Key, forgot which one.
    Last edited by JesC; 04-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Thanks..hmm..that sux for the kontrol and scene bug with the hub.
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast