Wanna buy a Macbook.. I think... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

Then the next question comes... Should I wait for the 2012 or buy now? Or maybe wait for the 2012 and Then buy the 2011 version... Oooooooo shit.

My Air has 4GB and it's sufficient. 2 would probably push it more than I would. I think the processor is the weakest link in mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jack H View Post
    Then the next question comes... Should I wait for the 2012 or buy now? Or maybe wait for the 2012 and Then buy the 2011 version... Oooooooo shit.
    the question should be do you need one now?

Im running 4gb on my windows 7 and I think 4bg with a smaller processor and a ssd would still out perform due to no spinning dick. from a dj only soultion I think the 250gb drive would be fine I would just have to manage my collection and make sure I only have music I acutally use on that machine. with 500gb on my current machine I only have about 75 left and I just purged a bunch of crap I never use. I think im going to do it again with a bunch of super old music I have backed up externally so I can try and push my data to the edge of the disk space.
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.

Tech Wizard

It really comes down to how much do you need one. The next release has been speculated to be around May/June since the new Ivy Bridge Processors are getting released April 8th

For what you're going to be using it for I'd recommend buying a 2nd hand one now. Even when the new MacBooks eventually get released I doubt it will affect the 2011 prices much

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Even when the new MacBooks eventually get released I doubt it will affect the 2011 prices much
    Traditionally they become cheaper when new models get released.
    DJDiscourse.com the new DJ community

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    I agree with you about the Air looking flimsy. I know it isn't, but i just wouldn't feel safe using it. I was using my friend's Air last week, and i felt like I was going to snap it in half.
    When i was playing around with it i noticed that it was a bit lite up the front and with little effort it would almost fall backwards. That's when the screen is open about as far back as it could though.

Personally as I mentioned before, if you can still get by on your current rig then id wait for the Pro upgrade and then decide on how much your willing to spend, what specs you want, if you want a pro or air and how the redesign goes.

On another note Ive seen the ASUS Ultrabook's getting around (im yet to see one used by a DJ..). They come with pretty much the same specs as the macbook air (SSD i5/i7 etc) however obviously its Windows, which depending how you look at it may actually be beneficial if you wanted to stay with windows so you dont lose your current software. Might be worth a look?

DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    My Air has 4GB and it's sufficient. 2 would probably push it more than I would. I think the processor is the weakest link in mine
    If you have 4 gigs why don't you also use Ableton with it rather than your pc?

i just got my MBP 13" 4gb last night and couldn't be happier... my win7 laptop will be relegated to to watching dvd's on - or more likely just spend all it's time running linux.

i'm blown away by the build quality of it and the attention to detail and as for osx lion... wow must admit i do appreciate having a unix type environment with bash shells etc too...

i've always hated windows but even i don't mind win7 - they did a good job there. can't see me ever wanting to go back to windows now tho.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123