Wanna buy a Macbook.. I think...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wanna buy a Macbook.. I think...

Hello everyone, I'm a long time pc user and for business and day to day applications I have no issues. However I feel like my machine is beginning to become a little outdated for digital dj applications. I was thinking about picking up a used macbook (so expensive!) however I know nothing of apple products.

My question to all of you is what would you and why.

My current setup includes just a Kontrol s2 and my hp pavilion dv7 (AMD Turion II Dual Core M620, 2.50GHz, 4 gig ram, 64 bit windows 7, 500gb hard dirve)
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.

Tech Guru

MacBook Pro's are nice. They're expensive, but def worth it. If you buy one you won't be disappointed.

If you think you still want a PC laptop, a great one fore audio work is the HP Elitebook 8560p. There's a bunch of articles and threads about it's abilty as well as youtube videos. I ran DPC Latency Checker on this machine while stressing it with Prime 95 and FurMark. It passed with flying colors with no red spikes. 5 USB ports and 1 firewire as well. You can do your own research on it though. Built to military spec, so they're more bulky than a MacBook pro, and they're still kinda on the expensive side ($1000-1500).

I was a Pc user too but now you have to kill me to go back to PC . Especially if you are a dj or some kind involved in music this is the right machine for you.Yes it s expensive but it s definetly worthy and much more.I remember that apple store once selling refurbished ones but ı dont know that it s finished or not.

At last I say Apple rules and So does the macbook pro.But if you can but the new ones.you will have i5 and 500 gb storage area which is pretty good.So does the battery adn the unibody and muchhhhhh moreeeee

İf you need any help just let me know with APPLE
    Macbook Pro-Mixmeister Fusion-Traktor Pro 2-Audio 2

I figured I would need a pro of some sort. Im going to try and find a used one. I dont think Id go any bigger than 13 or maybe 15in because mine is a 17 and its a beast. waaaayyy to big for what I need. Im gonna see about the referb from apple that might be a good buy
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.

Couldn't agree more, I was a long time PC fan (Had a PC at age 4 with DOS, yeah I'm a nerd). Anyways I made the switch and couldn't be happier, I would NEVER go back to PC.

Especially with the new OSX 10.7 Lion, the swipe features make browsing a breeze, and you can customize separate desktops under "mission control", not to mention the speed. You always have to option to Dual boot a windows partition as well for those rare programs that are Win only. Yes, macs are hella expensive but worth every penny if you ask me.

Only pitfall is the 2x USB slots.

Oh, and the new Solid State Hard Drives are awesome. Your computer can access files so much faster, boot up time is like 9 seconds flat, and it draws less battery power by removing the spinning disc! And there's no worry of having your laptop drop only to defrag your magnetized HD and lose alot of data.

Go for the i5 or i7 if you can afford it, they are really fast.

And I have yet to encounter a virus, whereas my PC's got viruses on the reg, even with anti-spyware/virus software.
    Hardware: MBA 13" i7 | NI S4 | Maschine
    Software: TSP 2.5 | Live 8 | ZebraII | Massive | FM8 | Sylenth1

13 inch is the best choice as ı do.SSD is great absolutly.The place where ı buy my macbook pro they tell me that ı give a 10 year guarantie definetly.And now ı understand them.İf you are a good user of computer you will use the apple , 10 times more than a PC.The virus are another issue which you dont need to think about and so does the heat.The unibody doesnt even get hot.I use it everyday and ı use it very efficently and it doesnt get hot.Always cold blooded

And the battery much more better than ever PC in the market.7 hours with wi-fi.and without wi fi more than 10 hours ı saw.You can easily use the Mac in a gig without charging it with full battery.

As other people have said...

I made the switch. And besides the occasional game which isn't supported by Mac that I've thought about messing around with, I'm MORE than happy with the transition. (I refuse to bootcamp so that's my own issue on that aspect).

I'm still running OSX. But it's just so damned simple to do anything. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's really not all that bad. Most applications that you'll use work fine.

Really, I'm just happy with it. I really love the hardware. The keyboard, the touchpad, and the screen are great. Haven't had any issues on that front. It's also nice being able to get custom cases and the like for it, which you can't do for most PC's. (I have an orange plastic "speck" case on mine for protection).

And the battery life is godly. Esp. compared to the PC laptops I've had in the past.

That being said, it's expensive and some people don't like the OS. But hey, can't knock it til you try it right lol.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Wow, I feel bad because I made the opposite switch to people here. For DJing anyway, went from Mac to PC. Mac was too limiting.

Would you please tell more ? Like what limiting ?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Wow, I feel bad because I made the opposite switch to people here. For DJing anyway, went from Mac to PC. Mac was too limiting.
    I'm also VERY interested to here about this :eek:

Alot of long time PC users get confused by just how intuitional the OS (and software) is.

You'll enjoy it, its stable, and it'll last ... not to mention in 3 years when you want to update you'll probably lose less than 50% of its value to a secondhand buyer.

No need for a Mac Vs PC battle please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast