Logic pro vs ableton live for a beginner - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    since i found out that the audiocore in ableton is just a joke compared with cubase or logic i would suggest it only to perform your productions live, but produce them in an adult daw ;o)

in the end, you will end up TRYING EVERY DAW FOR YOURSELF until you can decide YOUR tools which fits the best in your personal workflow.

since the most daw's are aviable as som sort of trial-version this should not be THE problem ^^
    Live will only sound bad if you can't be arsed to read the manual section on the different warping modes or don't set it to High Quality on the preferences pane and plugins. The truth is that labels don't go asking around what DAW are you writting/mixing your stuff with.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The reason you see so many people that say they use both is because they tried both and figured out that each one has its strengths and weakness'. At $200 Logic is a great deal and the one month trial with Ableton is long enough to get a good idea.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

since i found out that the audiocore in ableton is just a joke compared with cubase or logic i would suggest it only to perform your productions live, but produce them in an adult daw ;o)

in the end, you will end up TRYING EVERY DAW FOR YOURSELF until you can decide YOUR tools which fits the best in your personal workflow.

since the most daw's are aviable as som sort of trial-version this should not be THE problem ^^
    Deadmau5 (one of the biggest gear heads around) uses Ableton to produce. That should be all you need to know to convince you Ableton is more than capable

to all of you which don't believe what i say: open ableton, set everything you find to "high-quality" then add this equalizer to some track: http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=1923

and then make the same in cubase or logic and play around with it and listen to what comes out, you will hear a difference of the behaviour of the EQ in both DAW's which is as huge as the difference between my studio monitors and the sound of a pair of plastic-logitec-pc-system ;o)

and if you can't hear the difference or just repeat what deadmau5 told you then i can't take your opinion for real, sry ^^

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    The truth is that labels don't go asking around what DAW are you writting/mixing your stuff with.
    yep, i also think this is the case ^^ nobody cares how you create your sound as long it sounds good
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

to all of you which don't believe what i say: open ableton, set everything you find to "high-quality" then add this equalizer to some track: http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=1923

and then make the same in cubase or logic and play around with it and listen to what comes out, you will hear a difference of the behaviour of the EQ in both DAW's which is as huge as the difference between my studio monitors and the sound of a pair of plastic-logitec-pc-system ;o)

and if you can't hear the difference or just repeat what deadmau5 told you then i can't take your opinion for real, sry ^^

yep, i also think this is the case ^^ nobody cares how you create your sound as long it sounds good
    the fact is, you can't listen to a track on beatport and correctly guess what DAW they used. so ableton clearly doesn't put out a worse sound, else you would be able to tell the ableton tracks, from the non-ableton ones.

you may get a 'different' sound after playing with a waves plugin, but you get a 'different' sound every time you do anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    This is the other question that i dont get the answer yet about using of both software. I check couple forum n couple dj, it said u make ur music at ableton live, mixing and mastering at logic pro.

But the think is if we can make a music at logic also, so why we have to use 2 software if we can do it in one software?? I basicly can't afford to have both right now n i just dont want to miss a thing.
    People do that because of voodoo. There's no reason to do it that way unless they just want to.

I use Maschine for composition and then record into Logic (will be moving to Pro Tools soon) but that makes sense…Maschine is crap for mixing because NI doesn't believe in meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unique Freak View Post
    If you care about live performances using your DAW, get Live. If you just want to produce, get Logic.
    It's not that simple. Not by a long shot. My version of that is "if you care about live performance, get hardware…if you want to produce, get hardware and pro tools.". It's an exaggeration, and it's advice I'm in the process of taking instead of advice I've already benefited from, but still.

since i found out that the audiocore in ableton is just a joke compared with cubase or logic
    Bullshit. Someone made that up. Logic and Ableton null to silence. (meaning that if you do everything exactly the same, they'll create bit-for-bit identical files).

http://tarekith.com/sound-quality-live-versus-logic/

I'm not the least bit convinced that anything sounds bad. Also the word "audiocore" doesn't mean anything.

There's a lot of snake oil and voodoo in the music production world, and audocore wreaks of it. It was probably "CoreAudio," and you probably were told that by someone who didn't know what CoreAudio is.

Another queston is do i need audio interface to start? What interface that u recomend under $400
    No, you don't need one to start.

You need the software, some soft synths (buy a version that comes with soft synths and just use them…if you try and buy your own, you'll pull your hair out comparing them before you know enough to even pretend to try), something that actually produces sound (headphones or speakers), and time. A MIDI keyboard will help if you actually play piano/keyboard. Other controllers can be awesome. But you don't need anything else.

If you want a souncard, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 seems to work great on OS X for the price.

I'd seriously consider Maschine as well, but I just like the way it works. (Mikro is a joke)

<some crap>
    Again, bullshit. Record it and I'll believe you. My time is worth more than chasing some fantasy effect that doesn't exist at the word of some troll.

@OP, one thing is certain…Logic is insanely cheap. To get a version of Live that comes with as much costs $800. Pro Tools 10 is about the same.

Logic costs $200.

Live's workflow is almost unique, but it's something that I don't like for production. So, in my view, Logic costs a fourth as much, works better, and appeases people lake racoon who believe it sounds better despite overwhelming evidence that there is no difference.

The downside is that all of its synths and its drum machine are so fucking ugly that they're almost unintelligible. They sound fine, but I just don't use them because I can't remember what does what. Ableton's synths win in the UI department, at least. Unfortunately, I don't like the rest of it.
    Last edited by mostapha; 02-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.

thx for that link, i'll digg this ;o)

but i guess the part where he said "Because I don’t have time at the moment to write new material for a test like this, I just used some stems from one of my recent songs" is something that i was not talking from.

the difference i experienced was done with 2 daw's, the same vst synth (sylenth1) triggered per midi (not bounced, but loaded the identical preset) and a waves q10 which had loaded the identical preset. (which is a different situation as in the test you linked)

i don't know where this is coming from EXACTLY and if this part in the software is now called "summing engine" or "audiocore" or "some fancy part in the software" i am no daw-programmer ^^

maybe its voodoo, maybe i was to dumb to set the test up proper, i guess i have still to do more research to get a clue ^^

until then, i say what i see without guarantee for anything ;o)
    Last edited by racoon; 02-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    People do that because of voodoo. There's no reason to do it that way unless they just want to.

I use Maschine for composition and then record into Logic (will be moving to Pro Tools soon) but that makes sense…Maschine is crap for mixing because NI doesn't believe in meters.

It's not that simple. Not by a long shot. My version of that is "if you care about live performance, get hardware…if you want to produce, get hardware and pro tools.". It's an exaggeration, and it's advice I'm in the process of taking instead of advice I've already benefited from, but still.

Bullshit. Someone made that up. Logic and Ableton null to silence. (meaning that if you do everything exactly the same, they'll create bit-for-bit identical files).

http://tarekith.com/sound-quality-live-versus-logic/

I'm not the least bit convinced that anything sounds bad. Also the word "audiocore" doesn't mean anything.

There's a lot of snake oil and voodoo in the music production world, and audocore wreaks of it. It was probably "CoreAudio," and you probably were told that by someone who didn't know what CoreAudio is.

No, you don't need one to start.

You need the software, some soft synths (buy a version that comes with soft synths and just use them…if you try and buy your own, you'll pull your hair out comparing them before you know enough to even pretend to try), something that actually produces sound (headphones or speakers), and time. A MIDI keyboard will help if you actually play piano/keyboard. Other controllers can be awesome. But you don't need anything else.

If you want a souncard, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 seems to work great on OS X for the price.

I'd seriously consider Maschine as well, but I just like the way it works. (Mikro is a joke)

Again, bullshit. Record it and I'll believe you. My time is worth more than chasing some fantasy effect that doesn't exist at the word of some troll.

@OP, one thing is certain…Logic is insanely cheap. To get a version of Live that comes with as much costs $800. Pro Tools 10 is about the same.

Logic costs $200.

Live's workflow is almost unique, but it's something that I don't like for production. So, in my view, Logic costs a fourth as much, works better, and appeases people lake racoon who believe it sounds better despite overwhelming evidence that there is no difference.

The downside is that all of its synths and its drum machine are so fucking ugly that they're almost unintelligible. They sound fine, but I just don't use them because I can't remember what does what. Ableton's synths win in the UI department, at least. Unfortunately, I don't like the rest of it.

Thanks for the review. i thing comparison between this 2 similar comparisan between windows and apple mac.. both can finish the job.. its just windows is beginner friendly. i guest i"m gonna go with logic pro and download the trial version of ableton live.

speaking of midi controller, I can't decide between novation sl mk2 and axiom pro.. what u guys think??

since u talking about how suck drum machine and synths at logic, any advise to make it better?

Tech Wizard

Ultrabeat and ES2 are extremely powerful tools in Logic. Mostapha said he thinks the GUI looks ugly. That's his personal preference and it in no way means they are shitty tools. I personally find them amazing. Learn them, use them.

speaking of midi controller, I can't decide between novation sl mk2 and axiom pro.. what u guys think??
    i think there are 2 good combinations of gear atm:

1.) novation remote 25SL mkII: have a keyboard, have a daw control, AUTOMAP (not works with every vst really proper, but the few which make problems with the automap you just don't use the automapped version and control it with midi-learn like you would without novations automap, but for all the vst's which the automap works proper, you save a lot of time), price is not so high, no extra features besides a midi-control unit

2.) novation zero sl mkII + arturia the laboratory 49 (or v-collection): have a keyboard, have a daw control, AUTOMAP, a collection of really good synthesizer emulations, price is higher, not only midi-control but 7 SYNTH's extra

i admit the second choice is not really for beginners, but when you don't asking yourself if it will be your hobby for a long time anymore, you can think about making a bigger step at the beginning and save some money in the future ;o)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast