Audio/Recording in Ableton
    Tech Mentor

Default Audio/Recording in Ableton

Hey guys

Just got a copy of Ableton, have it installed, now trying to hook it up to my studio monitors with my Audio 8 sound card.

In preferences under "Audio Output Device" I have selected "Audio 8 DJ" and in "Audio Input Device" I have left it as "Built in"

When I tried to record a mix from my cdjs, rca coming out of master out on my mixer (DJM 800) to my sound card, I just have a flat line, I have ensured I have selected the in/out section and mixer section in arrangement view and ensured its coming from ext in

anyone any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

Are the audio I/Os on the tracks in session view (as opposed to the ones in the preferences) you're recording in correct?

Have you armed the track you're recording into?

Tech Mentor

Well I just want to record a mix from my CDJs, so I have the rca coming out of master out into 1/2 out in the Audio 8 soundcard. Then in Ableton I have selected my soundcard under preferences then in the arrangement view I've selected record on the track and also glodal record

Aaaaaa, you want audio 8 as input then, and built-in as output

Tech Mentor

mmmm tried that there, music is coming out my speakers, and also my laptop but its muffled coming out of my laptop

i'd advise just using the audio8 for in and outs, and not bothering with the built-in sound card/in/outs. but I'm no expert

Quote Originally Posted by dylanmc111 View Post
    In preferences under "Audio Output Device" I have selected "Audio 8 DJ" and in "Audio Input Device" I have left it as "Built in"…I have the rca coming out of master out into 1/2 out in the Audio 8 soundcard.
    yeah…you're recording off an input that doesn't have anything plugged into it. So, Ableton is working perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamPollard55 View Post
    Aaaaaa, you want audio 8 as input then, and built-in as output
    Why would you want to do that?

OP, just select the audio 8 as both input and output.