Moving from Vdj to Traktor
    Tech Wizard

Default Moving from Vdj to Traktor

Hi all.

Im looking to change my setup and the first thing im looking to do is move to Traktor from vdj which came with my mixtrack pro.

What I`m wanting to know is the main differences between these two pieces of software and what I should be doing/looking out for when setting up/prepping Traktor.

I`ve seen a few comments on here about beatgridding in Traktor so is this a must or does it automatically do it and are people just tweaking?

Thanks for any help

Traktor has a setup wizard which will take you through the most important setup stages. Probably the biggest noticeable difference is the lack of overlaid waveforms.

The beatgridding is done automatically but sometimes you do need to tweak them, there are some very good tutorials on YouTube to help with this. Look out for the djtechtools ones and the advanced ones from professor Ben.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

When using traktor you'll HAVE to mix with your ears, because you can't mix visually with Traktor like you can in VDJ.

Well if everything's beatgridded properly you can use the phase meter, or just go the whole way and use sync...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JahVomit View Post
    When using traktor you'll HAVE to mix with your ears, because you can't mix visually with Traktor like you can in VDJ.
    WHAT...??? Dude, with respect, that is totally not true.

Beatgrid + Sync + Phase Meter + Waveform = no headphones.

In fact i could probably do quite a decent set on Traktor by just looking at the screen without even hearing any music at all, which might be a bad thing to say about Traktor if the SSL boys read it

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    In fact i could probably do quite a decent set on Traktor by just looking at the screen without even hearing any music at all, which might be a bad thing to say about Traktor if the SSL boys read it
    Mate, I could do(and have done, at home) exactly the same thing with SSL. It's a totally different system but you can very easily beatmatch and keep tunes in phase without headphones.

I'm sure you already knew this, but with all the visual aids turned on in SSL you basically just have a mini video game in place of the sync button.

You will find that you can do so much more with Traktor. I started on VDJ as well, and since switching, haven't thought of going back. If you relied on the overlaid waveforms though, its going to take some time before you are cool with separate waveforms. I wish Traktor would allow you to overlay them, but all in all, pretty wicked piece of software. Sorry SSL boys, but Traktor is my favorite, I've used VDJ, Mixxx, SSL, and deckadance, and Traktor rules it for me.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Oh my bad then. I'm using Traktor 2 pro 2.0.1 forgot theres probably been some updates. Or it's been there the whole time and i havn't noticed it

The most important things have been mentioned. Make sure to do your homework and beatgrid your tracks. After that, Traktor becomes easy. Depending on how new you are to DJing, learn to mix with Traktor. Turn off the phase meter and BPM count and see if you can mix by ear.

I know people sometimes say it's an outdated skill but trust me, you need to learn to beatmatch by ear. The sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post

Im looking to change my setup and the first thing im looking to do is move to Traktor from vdj which came with my mixtrack pro.
    fancy selling your vdj license? i need a license to reduce the cost of buying vdj pro. not switching from trakor to it, but fancy trying it as well. some of the mapping possibilities are amazing, never mind being able to code custom plugins...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"