Speaker system advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Speaker system advice

Hi everyone, i'm looking to buy a new speaker system to about 1200$ for my S4. It's going to be used at house parties, and garden parties and such, and i was wondering if any of you, can recommend a speaker system in that price range, and also available for buying in Europe?

I've been looking at these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_dave_15_g2.htm , but i don't know that much about sound systems and all that, so looking at the specifications, would anyone recommend them, or can i get something better at that price?

Any help apprecciated!

http://www.b-52pro.com/products/Matrix1000V2.html

That's my first suggestion. I'm not well versed on speaker systems myself other than researching what is good to start with, but that's been said to be one of the better ones that is powered, and comes with a sub. Would probably fall a little under your budget as well.

The other suggestion I would make, would be getting two QSC K12 tops. Should have enough low end to get you through (and if you really needed it, you could rent a sub until you can buy one). But you'll also have the BEST quality sound.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I'v used a DAVE 12 system in a very small room 80/100 people tops and was not very impressed with it.

Bass was okish in that room but the top end was rather harsh.

In a bigger room it wouldn't be very good.

B52 systems suck.

I sold several of them when I worked at GC because people made me. God, I hate them. They sound like crap.

Only thing I've used for house parties was a pair of JBL 2x15 + tweeter cabs with a QSC power amp and whatever home/computer audio subs we could find and distribute sound to.

I'd look into going that route and skimp on the amps if necessary…I'd run low-end JBL speakers and a Mackie or Behringer amp long before white van speakers with a good amp.

And I don't think I'd ever buy a powered speaker for that. They're too heavy and too much of a PITA.

Yeah I would avoid any of those little mini 3 in 1 systems like what you linked or the b52.

Personally I would go powered JBL or QSC tops with a matching sub but you're only going to find a system like that used within your budget so search around classified forums in your area, I know craigslist isn't great in europe but you must have something.

As far as powered being a pain- I don't know I found them to be the opposite but yeah powered speakers in wood cabinets like I had were pretty heavy.

Tech Wizard

Thank you very much for all your answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    http://www.b-52pro.com/products/Matrix1000V2.html

That's my first suggestion. I'm not well versed on speaker systems myself other than researching what is good to start with, but that's been said to be one of the better ones that is powered, and comes with a sub. Would probably fall a little under your budget as well.

The other suggestion I would make, would be getting two QSC K12 tops. Should have enough low end to get you through (and if you really needed it, you could rent a sub until you can buy one). But you'll also have the BEST quality sound.
    I've heard really good things about the Matrix 1000 actually (until longer down this thread), and if i were to buy those QSC K12, i would only have money for 1 speaker if they shouldn't be second hand..

I'v used a DAVE 12 system in a very small room 80/100 people tops and was not very impressed with it.

Bass was okish in that room but the top end was rather harsh.

In a bigger room it wouldn't be very good.
    Alright, then DAVE 15 probably isn't better :/

Only thing I've used for house parties was a pair of JBL 2x15 + tweeter cabs with a QSC power amp and whatever home/computer audio subs we could find and distribute sound to.

I'd look into going that route and skimp on the amps if necessary…I'd run low-end JBL speakers and a Mackie or Behringer amp long before white van speakers with a good amp.

And I don't think I'd ever buy a powered speaker for that. They're too heavy and too much of a PITA.
    Yeah I would avoid any of those little mini 3 in 1 systems like what you linked or the b52.

Personally I would go powered JBL or QSC tops with a matching sub but you're only going to find a system like that used within your budget so search around classified forums in your area, I know craigslist isn't great in europe but you must have something.

As far as powered being a pain- I don't know I found them to be the opposite but yeah powered speakers in wood cabinets like I had were pretty heavy.

Could you be more specific please? Because I really don't have that much knowledge about sound equipment, so I wouldn't ever know, what amp, speakers or sub to match? That's actually why I wanted a "3 in 1" system like that, because then would be sure that they actually go well together So if you could give me some product names, that forms a complete sound system, that would be great!!

i would suggest to go to an store and listen to the ld systems pa-sets which were mentioned in this thread, because if the sound of this set's arent matching your requirements you'll need more money ;o)

and for house-partys in normal peoples livingrooms (and if you have neighbors) i think even smaller ones like http://www.thomann.de/at/ld_systems_dave_8_xs.htm will do the job ;o)
    (i guess this small one is enough for around ~50pax)
    Last edited by racoon; 02-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    i would suggest to go to an store and listen to the ld systems pa-sets which were mentioned in this thread, because if the sound of this set's arent matching your requirements you'll need more money ;o)

and for house-partys in normal peoples livingrooms (and if you have neighbors) i think even smaller ones like http://www.thomann.de/at/ld_systems_dave_8_xs.htm will do the job ;o)
    (i guess this small one is enough for around ~50pax)
    Thanks for your answer

The thing is, I wan't to make sure that the system I'm buying, is good enough to play at parties with about 100 people, instead of buying a small one as a start, and then I'd have to buy a new one, if I get a gig at a bigger party. So right know my choice would be either the DAVE 15 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_dave_15_g2.htm) or the Matrix 1000 (http://www.b-52pro.com/products/Matrix1000V2.html), unless someone has a better advice +/- 500$

HK Audio and DB Technologies build also PA's in this Price-Region (+ the thomann intern brand "T-Box")

but which of these products will give you the most out of the invested money i don't know because this fact is constantly changing and i didn't had a look on this for some time ;o)

i for myself in general, would save a little more money and buy myself an pair of rcf art 412-a and one or two rcf art 905-as because i like how this italians build their boxes but that is obviously not the goal you're aiming for ;o)
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast