Monitors: 6" or 8"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monitors: 6" or 8"?

hey dudes,

iv been lookin into buyin monitors and i was wondering what the difference is in sound etc, and your preference in sizes, between 6" monitors and 8" monitors.

im looking at getting either top of the line Mackie's or KRK's

cheers
    fart.

Jack Bastard

If you're buying high end then it's going to sound good, period.

At the high end the only real difference generally comes down to personal preference. See if you can listen to competing models before you buy.

If it's top of the line you want, go for Mackie.

Preferred the HR-series, but the MR series are great too!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Id say go the 8" - the frequency spectrum the monitors covers is pretty important if you are producing music. You will be able to get a lower frequency with 8" than the 6" which is imporant if your producing electronic dance music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Preferred the HR-series
    Those things are crazy expensive here

Well, they cost shitheaps overhere too.

But he said he was going for the top of the line.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Well the HR-24's are ment to be the industry standard in the drum and bass scene, so you would expect they are pretty decent I still havent got a chance to listen to them yet

You cant beat actually going to listen to the speakers though, theres no one single brand thats the "best" as everyone has their own opinion on what sounds better.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Tech Wizard

if you pair the speakers up with a powered sub, i'd say you're better off just going with 6's or even 5's on top. you'll be applying the cutoff to 120 hz down anyway, and most monitor series give you the same hf driver on all sizes.

If you're just using two main monitors, go 8"

just got some warfedale 8.1's down from £300 to £150 there 8 inch and very nice sound, active, if your in the U.K. there on HTFR a bargin atm
    http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR266129
    sorry down from £278 but who is counting

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Well the HR-24's are ment to be the industry standard in the drum and bass scene, so you would expect they are pretty decent I still havent got a chance to listen to them yet
    Dude, I can tell you... They are reallllllly awesome!

But indeed, you'll have to check for yourself first.

thanks for all your input dudes

im leanin towards the 8" but im thinking there may be a bit bassy. the reason i am saying this is im moving house to the sunny Gold Coast (w00t, love that place!) and we will be moving into an apartment/town house so im a little worried about noise etc. so i was looking at getting 6's for this reason
    fart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast