I have roughly $400 to spend on a Macbook. What Do I Buy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I have roughly $400 to spend on a Macbook. What Do I Buy?

As the title says, I need a macbook to run Traktor Pro and Traktor Pro 2. I'm currently on 1.27, but would like to upgrade to Pro 2. I mix on two decks with timecode (audio 4). I don't do ANY production at all, and would maybe run Traktor and Maschine together (if I ever get around to buying one.) but never run (or will run Ableton). What do I need?

PS
    I DON'T WANT A PC! PERIOD! NO MORE F****** WINDOWS in my dj booth lol. I'm done with that.
    Last edited by bmwnutfrombirth; 02-13-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Tech Mentor

buy a PC.....you can get a nice one with good expecifications with 400 bucks....or you can buy the old macbook white for 400 bucks new online its old but reliable if you really want an apple product

for 400$, buy yourself time... wait 'till you have more.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

@DJKeyWee:
    How much is enough? Do I really need to buy a $1500, 2011 Macbook to play two decks on Traktor?

$400 for a macbook? Good luck. You might find an old blackbook though.. But good luck.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Mentor

no a friend of mine have the old macbook and it handles traktor pro just fine

I have a secondhand 2008 Macbook (penryn) 2.4ghz with 2GB of RAM (upgradable to 4) that ran an S4 with NO problems. I have since switched to a X1600 that sometimes will drop audio, but this is only because it is running 10.5.8. Problem is solved by upgrading to 6.x or greater. I'll see maybe 50% CPU load in TP2 if I am running 3 decks.

I bought the MB for $515, but have seen equal and lesser models go for as low as $390. I'd say if you double your budget you'll have a much wider range to choose from.... Especially in the PC market.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Wizard

with 400 you might be able to find a 15" macbook pro non unibody on craigslist. heck, even the older white or black macbook will run traktor fine when using only 2 decks. anything with a minimum of 2gigs of ram and 2ghz c2d should be fine..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnutfrombirth View Post
    @DJKeyWee:
    How much is enough? Do I really need to buy a $1500, 2011 Macbook to play two decks on Traktor?
    no, you don't. ANY macbook will do, but you should max out the ram (which would be 2, 3 or 4 gb depending on the exact model) and maybe replace the hdd if it comes with an old 5400rpm drive.

Tech Mentor

I might be able to sell an older (Black Macbook, Core2Duo 2.0Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Lion installed)... but I need to talk my girlfriend in to selling it, I let her use it since upgrading to a Macbook Air myself, but she almost never does. Works Traktor Pro 2 (2 decks + 2 efx) just fine. You might see a PM from me...
    13" Macbook Air (OS 10.8/256GB SSD/4GB RAM) | Traktor S2
    Latest DJ Recording: The Wedding Set (40 Minute House Set)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast