Xone DX vs S2? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Xone DX vs S2?

Tech Guru

Right, rather than make a new thread may as well put this here....
    Been offered a pair of Citronic mpcd-s6 with Gemini ps-626 usb mixer for £200 (might be able to get them cheaper). This obviously isn't groundbreaking kit, but may (or may not) mean a transition to CDJs when (if) I wanted to start gigging would be easier?
    What exactly would I need to hook this setup up to Traktor as well? As that's definitely my preferred route if using proper decks.

Obviously the S2 would still probably be more fun and potentially easier to learn on/be more creative with?

EDIT: Also, looking at a pair of CDJ200s with Numark DM1002 MII mixer. These are up for £380, should be able to get cheaper but will probably end up a similar price once I've picked them up with petrol money. These may or may not still be available.

Options, options!
    Last edited by KS2; 02-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Right, rather than make a new thread may as well put this here....
    Been offered a pair of Citronic mpcd-s6 with Gemini ps-626 usb mixer for £200 (might be able to get them cheaper). This obviously isn't groundbreaking kit, but may (or may not) mean a transition to CDJs when (if) I wanted to start gigging would be easier?
    What exactly would I need to hook this setup up to Traktor as well? As that's definitely my preferred route if using proper decks.

Obviously the S2 would still probably be more fun and potentially easier to learn on/be more creative with?

EDIT: Also, looking at a pair of CDJ200s with Numark DM1002 MII mixer. These are up for £380, should be able to get cheaper but will probably end up a similar price once I've picked them up with petrol money. These may or may not still be available.

Options, options!
    Definetly dont get the cdjs. The S2 will be far better than CDJ200s and crappy numark mixer.

Cost would also be very prohibitive with the turntables as well as you'd have to get a traktor scratch capable soundcard and software.

Tech Guru

My experience from owning three (yes, 3) different DX units...

Theres a reason the DX plummeted in price, and it's not because A&H was feeling generous. The unit was a flop:

- No power button...seriously, what the hell were they thinking. It gets pretty old yanking and plugging the power cord and getting a massive *POP* over a sound system whenever you want to use the damn thing.
    - Glitching controls: every time I booted thing this thing up for usage, I would need to wiggle every control at least once because upon first usage, it would cause the audio to skip momentarily.
    - The dB meters on that thing were a joke.
    - No touch sensitive platters, although honestly this was more of a personal preference coming from a CDJ user. The S2 actually has that, which makes a world of difference when it comes to feel.
    - The audio-thru function gave me wildly varying levels from time to time.
    - There was no cue/mix knob, I had to map the crossfader to do CUE/PGM mixing. Again, how the hell did they overlook this simple feature. This has been a fundamental feature on every freaking DJ mixer for over 30 years, come on A&H.

On the bright side, it felt solid, and looked pretty.

Then I ended up purchasing an S4, which was miles and beyond an improvement over the DX. Don't take my word for it though, go into a Guitar Center and compare the features and feel yourself.

The only reason I ended up pawning mine was because I went with an EKS Otus Raw to plug directly into club mixers since I got sort of tired of doing software mixing.

Just my $0.02

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Definetly dont get the cdjs. The S2 will be far better than CDJ200s and crappy numark mixer.

Cost would also be very prohibitive with the turntables as well as you'd have to get a traktor scratch capable soundcard and software.
    Only reason I'd go for them is for the transition/workflow thing down the line. Could save for a better mixer? Software isn't an issue as I've got a mate with spare all sorts (all legit).

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post

Theres a reason the DX plummeted in price, and it's not because A&H was feeling generous. The unit was a flop:

- No power button...seriously, what the hell were they thinking. It gets pretty old yanking and plugging the power cord and getting a massive *POP* over a sound system whenever you want to use the damn thing.
    - Glitching controls: every time I booted thing this thing up for usage, I would need to wiggle every control at least once because upon first usage, it would cause the audio to skip momentarily.
    - No touch sensitive platters, although honestly this was more of a personal preference coming from a CDJ user. The S2 actually has that, which makes a world of difference when it comes to feel.
    - There was no cue/mix knob, I had to map the crossfader to do CUE/PGM mixing. Again, how the hell did they overlook this simple feature. This has been a fundamental feature on every freaking DJ mixer for over 30 years, come on A&H.

Then I ended up purchasing an S4, which was miles and beyond an improvement over the DX. Don't take my word for it though, go into a Guitar Center and compare the features and feel yourself.

The only reason I ended up pawning mine was because I went with an EKS Otus Raw to plug directly into club mixers since I got sort of tired of doing software mixing.

Just my $0.02
    Cheers, this is the sort of stuff that makes things a lot easier to decide, damning stuff! haha

The lack of a power button is silly.

And there have been a few that have a harness issue that causes an output to drop.

But the price is definitely low to get rid of stock because it was a flop (I judge this on sales).

I do have a beef with no cue/mix as well. The VU meter's are supposed to give you master and cue when you are cueing a channel and do not. At least in Itch, and that's a bug. And it is annoying. But you learn to deal.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post

Just my $0.02
    Being a DX owner as well. I will respond.

I agree, not having a power button was definitely an oversight.

Powering up, you have to wait about 5 sec, it does go through a little boot up process. Never had a problem with any of the controls, Never had to wiggle anything. No problem with audio skipping.

db meters on each channel are not accurate and are just cool looking lights. The main out db meter is pretty close when comparing it to the meter in Traktor. When using Itch the meter does act weird. If you are cueing in the headphones, the main meter will meter the headphones, when you turn off the cue then it switches to monitor the main out. There is no cue/mix knob.There is a split function which puts the main out on 1 side of the phones and the cue on the other. I barely ever use the cue/mix, I always keep the phones only monitoring the cue but it is a helpful feature that easily should have been there.

The jog wheels not being touch sensitive is not a surprise.

I never used the audio thru so I can't comment.

I can't make an accurate comparison with an S4 because I have never touched an S4 but I think everything always comes down to personal preference. There will always be units that have problems with everything. I think the build quality and the soundcard is where a lot of the original price of the DX was justified. As more controllers came out "controlling" software doing the same thing the DX did but cheaper left the DX sitting on shelves.

I am completely happy with the DX, I paid $600 USD last August and feel it was worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    As more controllers came out "controlling" software doing the same thing the DX did but cheaper left the DX sitting on shelves.

I am completely happy with the DX, I paid $600 USD last August and feel it was worth every penny.
    I think this is the most important thing to remember here.

Particularly if you are an Itch user, paying 470 - 600 dollars for this controller and having the added benefit of being able to use it with Traktor out of the box is what makes it attractive. It's CERTAINLY worth that much.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Absolutely do not get the CDJs. If you beatmatch manually on the S2, the transition to CDJs will not be hard. Turn off the phase meter in Traktor, turn off the bpm counter if you're feeling bold, and mix by ear. I did that with my former S4 and now am using DVS with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    The jog wheels not being touch sensitive is not a surprise.
    Not a surprise, but a big problem if he is considering CDJs instead to learn how to use them. The DX jogs are going to feel completely different.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast