The ableton '.asd' file?
    Tech Guru

Default The ableton '.asd' file?

Ok, so i have basically just been dealing with these files scattered across my music collection as I pull new files into live but now I want to find a way to deal with them.

In live's preferences menu and manual they don't talk mention if I can route them somewhere so that all of my .asd files are in one location.

Is there a way around this?

Is it even essetial to keep these files, I tried dragging in a ableton live clip file (.alc) from the automatic backup that ableton creates in the library folder and it seems to do the same as bringing in a .asd....

That may just be a coincidence as I know that ableton is not stupid to create to identical files but what am I gaining from .asd files and how can I manage them?

Im a windows user.

My understanding is, that Ableton puts these in the same folder as that the clip (track/sample) is found.

It's supposed to help Ableton analyse and handle the file, etc etc.
    If you delete these, Ableton will create a new one, but you will have to create new settings for it. (At least that is my experience with Ableton)

Managing them is something up to the user I guess. What you could try to do is gather tracks/clips of seperate projects in seperate folder or something?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

the .asd file stores information like warp markers etc.

This means that if you load a track into ableton that you have created warp points on and clicked the little save button by the warp modes you will not have to make warp points again.

Great if you are mixing tracks but just dragging them in instead of a planned set
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Guru

Ok well what everyone has said kind of confirms what I was thinking. I just hadn't noticed any difference when redragging in songs from the ableton library folder. Im not sure exactly how to deal with them yet because I don't think to organize a mashup while im working on it, I kind of just go with the material that fits so I will have to be more aware of organization.

But I am definately going to hold onto them if they store warp markers.

And they do that too.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Guru

I think you can go to [preferences > create analysis files > NO] to stop creating them

Here's a tip somebody submitted here for Windows - http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.p...ding+asd+files

There's also this for other reference - http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=48157

Good luck!

True!

Tech Guru

Good reads, basically alot of people are complaining about the same thing I am and there is no absolute way to get them how I want them as of now.

One question, if I move the .asd from the source folder where the music is orginally pulled from will it still function the same? Can it automatically reference that audio file on your computer or does it need to be in the same location?

hope you understand that question.

The .asd file has to be in the same folder as the source file. Don't move 'em!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.p...ding+asd+files

THAT was very interesting!!! Might well add that little tweak.. Nice bit of house keeping...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj