Akai MPK49

Thread: Akai MPK49

Default Akai MPK49

I just found a deal on craigslist for an AKAI MPK49 with upgraded pads for 175 dollars. It's in mint condition and he's dropping it off next week. Just to make sure, is this a good price for the unit? I've never produced anything and this will be my first pair of production hardware, so is it a good choice?

Will I need an audio interface or will my computers soundcard be fine? I have a denon MC6000 with a 16bit soundcard, but that might be a bit hard to setup
    -everything- on my small college dorm room desk.

Yeah that's a pretty good price and you should buy it, I like my MPK49 well enough and it's a good feeling keyboard.

As far as audio interface goes do you have studio monitors (or decent flat studio headphones if in a dorm)? I would get those before looking at an interface since an interface isn't going to do much for you if you have no monitors or studio headphones.

I have 2 krk rokit 6's and a pair of sennheiser HD-25's

I usually run the KRK's through my MC6000's sound card...i'm just wondering if i'll need an additional AIO?

You don't need one right away but it might be nice to have a decent interface with a big dedicated volume knob.

New they're $300+ so yeah, that's a pretty good price. You might want to try out the feel of it at guitar center/with the seller before you buy it though; the keys on it are quite springy and are not for everyone.

You could run a headphone jack to RCA cord to one of your Denon's inputs. That's one of the big ups with that thing is that it's an analog mixer if need be right? You wouldn't need it pluggeed in via USB and all set up, just powered on with the speakers connected.