How can I use smart playlists to get rid of old tracks?
    Tech Guru

Default How can I use smart playlists to get rid of old tracks?

So far I've been loving iTunes smart playlists for sorting my stuff, but now I'd like to do the reverse, sort stuff so I can delete them, has anyone ever done this before? And is there any easy way to select the bad tracks in smart playlists and delete them from the actual iTunes library.

I was thinking the parameters for my playlist could be, play count is less then 5. Or even sorting tracks that were imported a long time ago. What other parameters would be helpful in getting rid of duds.

Tech Wizard

So you consider all old tracks to be bad?

You can add filters to remove songs before a certain release date, a certain import date, only use 4 and 5 star songs. There are unlimited ways to fine tune smart playlists.

Tech Guru

No but my taste has definitely evolved over the past few years and i'm sure there's old stuff that I thought was good and will go back only to realize it was garbage. I'm just aiming more for quality and not quantity with my library.

just make a smart playlist and set a "date added" variable.

This is on my PC at work, but I figure it will be exactly the same on a Mac.

For example:

Now, this date is only as good as when you added the song to your iTunes library.

If this doesn't work for you, you can probably use the "Year" to determine the tracks age. That's only if your tracks have the "Year" tag.
    Last edited by papo; 02-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.

There's plenty of ways to go about filtering older tracks as people have said, import date, play count, etc. Heck, if you've moved on from a specific sound you could filter by genre and work that way. The assumption is that all your tagging is up to scratch and you're prepared to spend time listening to the tracks in question. As far as I know there's no way of making iTunes read your mind and figure out how your tastes have changed