Livid Instruments CNTRL:R and Xone K2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Livid Instruments CNTRL:R and Xone K2

I've been trying to upgrade my set up from a VCI 100 SE and LPD 8 for almost a year now...contemplated the S4, then the Twitch, then the S2 + K2 combination, then the S2 + F1 combination and most recently the VCI-400 EGE. I feel like i'm constantly waiting for the "perfect" controller, and only now am i realizing that that's nearly impossible. I've set my cost limit around 1 grand, and I plan on buying the CNTRL:R and pre ordering the K2 tomorrow.

I'm not asking for advice or anything on my next set up, but just wanted to open the discussion on how versatile of a set up this could become. I'm really excited to get my hands on these new toys and start mapping like a mo'fucka'.

I plan on using the K2 as my soundcard, and starting with the provided Traktor mapping for the CNTRL:R, and using the K2 to map any immediate issues I encounter with Livid mapping. Hopefully as time goes on I can develop a comprehensive mapping that utilizes more of what the K2 has to offer.

Thoughts?

mods: this might be better in the controller discussion forum, could you move it?
    Last edited by rami; 02-15-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Tech Mentor

I guess I should have stated that I plan on using the CNTRL:R as my studio controller for ableton as well. Although when I play live, I use traktor.

Also, I read a lot of comments that the CNTRL:R is overpriced...how so? DJTT used to sell the VCI 100 Arcade for like $800, and compared to the CNTRL:R...well I think you see my point. I'm sure my money could be better spent elsewhere on a few modular controllers, but I just love the look and functionality of Livid stuff, and have always wanted to own something by them since my early days of digital.

Tech Mentor

If you're producing and performing with CNTRL:R, consider dropping traktor and developing a live set. IMO, the CNTRL:R looks more suitable for some sort of live performance template in ableton, and you'd get a ton more use out of it.
    Alternatively if you want traditional DJ deck control, you wont go wrong with that VCI. Even if you decide to have live sets in ableton, you can still do that with Nonagon's VCI-400 live performance templates.
    I guess it really boils down to how you want to DJ.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Guru

I already have 2 Kontrol X1s and will most likely get 2 Kontrol F1, if you look at the layout of the CNTRL-R it makes a lot of sense for Traktor as well IMO and costs less than all 4 Kontrol'lers, and easier to carry and setup.

Tech Guru

If your looking for a all in one controller for traktor that doesn't have jogs then really the cntl:r is the best option right now.

It may be overpriced but you know your getting quality and enough buttons/quality mappings to be able to have full control over the effects...

I really really dig that controller and may end up selling my s4 in order to buy it. I would really like to wait though and get a refurb'd one. If you haven't watched any vids on the cntl:R then you should cuz they have some crazy stuff going on in that mapping, needless to say all buttons are used.

(It may not be djtt crazy but pretty damn crazy compared to any other generic controller)

Tech Mentor

As expensive as the CNTRL:R is, I really can't justify a VCI-400 vs CNTRL:R+K2, for practically the same price. Up until a few days ago I was all about the 400 EGE....maybe all the flashy lights from the CNTRL:R have blinded me with lust haha.

I do plan on developing a live Ableton set as an extension of my production, but I also like playing college parties etc with Traktor, and I don't have the money to buy 2 entirely different set ups, so something that I can use for both is ideal.

Tech Mentor

I just feel that for traktor, the VCI is the most straight forward route. But I guess we'll just have to wait for the details on the CNTRL:R mapping.

Tech Guru

I haven't seen an official mapping for the livid controller, however from the video I know that they have atleast the following.

A instant grat midifighter type mapping on the middle 16. But i believe that is only one layer.

Then you have complete control over 4 effects with 3 knobs per fx bank and 1 slider for each effect bank.

4 channel 3 band eq with either gain control or filter. 4 channel faders.

play stop cue sync at the bottom for all 4 decks. Then 16 buttons at the bottom left over.

That is only one layer though and I know from there ableton video that the controller has 4 layers atleast on the center 16 buttons....litterally everything is accessible on 2 layers within traktor. Your missing a crossfader but don't really need one without jogs. I think I may need to buy this and a cheap DVS setup and sell my s4.

Tech Mentor

Here is the mapping that Livid have released for the CNTRL:R for anyone interested.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

They have some ableton scripts and other stuff on their website as well. I can't get over my excitement for this thing!

http://blog.lividinstruments.com/201...ntroller-apps/

Tech Mentor

Wow, great I didn't know they released it! Actually looks really tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast