Super-noob here! guick genre guestion.
    Tech Mentor

Default Super-noob here! guick genre guestion.

Hey,
    I have been trying to look for this type of music but I never really could figure out what exact genre it is. I like listening to Roger Sanchez and Carl Cox and they play this kind of stuff I think. It sounds cool and I know its some type of house but what genre exactly is it. And where do I look for this type of house?
    • Tech house
    • Minimal
    • Deep house
    • (insert here) house

Good mix, never the less
    http://youtu.be/P6u2DiD8uGc

I think there is a cross over of what you have listed but I can't here any minimal to be honest?

I would add that there are some electro house riffs in there too.

Think that is pretty much it?

It's been discussed on here before that genres as a whole are diffcult to pigeon hole as the lines between them these days are very blurred.

Use what you have as a starting point if you are unfamiliar with some types of house but half the fun for me is stumbling across stuff while "digging" through music whether it be online or in a shop, don't affraid to look at other genres as you may be surprised.

Most download sites will have a "people who bought this, also bought...." or "if you like this then try this...." options so make sure you utilise them for similar sounds.

It's a slow process sometimes but you get out the time you put in!!

Hope this helps.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Student

I think also add 'progressive' house to your list.

Find a mix cd of each these artists and hunt down the tracks that stand out for you. Then, use the techniques that Fyoog suggested to find similar artists.

Also, digging through youtube is a fun & easy way to find new, similar, artists.

Beatport.com is super helpful. Use the genre tab to find your niche! My tastes are ever-changing!

Quote Originally Posted by GI Trackt View Post
    Beatport.com is super helpful. Use the genre tab to find your niche! My tastes are ever-changing!
    Unfortunately, I've found Beatport to have music miss-labled in regards to genre. I always find it more useful to follow labels that have tracks I like as they tend to release music with a similar sound and it's a great way to find new artists and remixers which will in turn lead you to other labels.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I've found Beatport to have music miss-labled in regards to genre
    FFS somehow they call David Guetta and Avicii Progressive House

Funky/Disco House/Tribal/Tech House/Progressive/Garage

I dont put ANY faith in looking for specfic genres anymore just know which ones to completely avoid. Podcasts by some of the jocks you mentioned - many have tracklists if its not mentioned on the show itself.

carl cox plays mainly techno and some tech house and other stuff but mainly techno.i recomend beatport and just keep searching till you find the sound you want.

Tech Mentor

thank you guys
    This is why DJTT is the best!
    Yeah I realize he sweeps through genres pretty fast in that vid. I will continue my search

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

One man's techno is another man's tech house is another's deep house.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x