Recommended book for DJ's...
    Tech Guru

Default Recommended book for DJ's...

Hey guys I was in chapters the other day picking up the Wu Tang Manual, sick book, and while in the music section I stumbled across a book called "How to DJ Right" by Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster. I would have overlooked this book but it has a solid review from MIXMAG.

If you liked Ean's article on the fundamentals of DJing you will love this book. It's very helpful for those Digital Dj's out there who are just starting and can easily overlook the fundamentals. It also offers tips on how to setup your mix and gives further insight on proper timing. Also educates you on audio levels. It even has a section on how to get gigs and get paid, discusses advanced techniques like turntablism and FX's and EQing. It's an awesome book, any question that i've ever had about DJing this book has managed to give me the answer. Plus the book is sure to emphasize one major thing in the introduction.

And that is that to be a great DJ, YOU HAVE TO LOVE MUSIC. This book won't teach you a style or teach you to love music. It's innate. All this book can do is give you the techniques and theory for mixing, from there it is up you to to apply those techniques to develop your own style and give you the ability to present the music the way YOU want to.

the chapter in this book about playing early sets and warming up the room is golden. i wish more early evening djs had even a vague understanding of these concepts.

Tech Guru

Did you just pick up the book? It's funny I read that last night before I went to work at the lounge I work at. I was in a private room with a group of 20 people and we allow people to bring their own music or ipod to play in there. They started off with this crazy upbeat top 40 music and you can just feel the weight on people. It's too much at once to expect people to just start having a good time as soon as they arrive. The warm up section totally opened my mind to the importance of easing a crowd into an evening.

By the same authors - 'Last night a DJ saved my life' - a in depth history of the DJ. 100+ years of DJ history!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

read it a few years back.. it seemed a little basic. the last part about marketing and contracts was pretty helpful, though.

Tech Mentor

+1 for Last Night a DJ Saved My Life and How To DJ Right

I picked that book up myself as well as Dj 101: The Basics and Dj;'ing for dummies.
    All pretty similar intheir subject. For sure though great for beginners as well as seasoned dj's who may of lost site of proper skill.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .