Will these speakers be enough?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Will these speakers be enough?

Venue: Planetarium stardome.
    Size: 80-ft diameter, 40-foot ceiling (it's a half-sphere)
    Estimated attendance: 300-400 (will absorb a lot of sound). There will be no tables in the main area, just one huge dancefloor.

This picture (it's not showing up on the post, just click on it) shows the size well

and this picture shows the whole area, but makes it seem smaller than it actually is

As you can see, it's a pretty cavernous area, and I'm expecting a ton of sound to bounce off the walls everywhere. Our setup is 2 400W Peavey subs and 2 400W hi/mid Peavey's, all passive. I daisy chain the hi/mids to the subs, whose output comes from the amp.

Anyway, I am worried that my setup won't be enough. I need your experience, since this is the first time using our speaker system for such a large event. Should I tell the organizers that they need to rent speakers from someone else too?

Sound reflections are going to TRIPPY in that space. You also didn't mention the amp's specs. I'd recommend having monitors very close as reflections will totally mess with your mixing.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Thats a pretty huge space, I don't think it will be close to enough at all. I would at least double that at the bare minimum. If you expect to get a dance floor going and care about sound quality you are going to need a lot more sound. Like a lot more.

Consider renting a more suitable PA system, your speakers right now are not cut out for this.

Rent a decent system for that space and you can use the PA speakers you have as booth monitors.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 02-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'd be putting a minimum 5-6k rig if its a club / rave style event, if its a chart music more social /quieter kinda gig 1.5-2k

Rent a decent system for that space and you can use the PA speakers you have as booth monitors.
    +1

Not close to enough. Double your system, and still only enough power to really stress the system right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Not close to enough. Double your system, and still only enough power to really stress the system right out of the gate.
    yep

Tech Mentor

Ok, so here's the sound system I've secured so far:

x1 crossover so I can split the main out into bass/mid/hi
    x1 Crown 1300W amp
    x1 400W amp for monitors
    x3 Mackie 1000W towers, self-amped (idk the exact model, they're my friend's).
    x2 Peavey 400W subs (passive)
    x2 Peavey 400W mid/hi's (passive, for monitoring)

And the lighting system:
    LAZERS! The cheap, made-in-china, set-up-on-a-stand-and-let-them-go kind.
    x20 LED RGB LED strips, controlled by my friend with 2 flight simulator joysticks. He can program patterns in on the fly, making it so that the lighting matches the music perfectly.

Are those peaveys the only subs you have? You're going to need a lot more than that unless you mean the mackie 1000 watts are subs.

Speaker placement will be key. If you have the cable. I would set up a set a good ways across from your DJ booth. The powered speakers would be great for these. That way if you do not have enough cables, maybe you can rent some of these http://www.agiprodj.com/sennheiser-w...-system-1.html.

If that is not feasible, you face the subs forward and your tops diagonally facing away from each other as far to the side of the dj booth as possible to displace sound. Space out the powered speakers in front of the DJ booth/stand.

You should be alright. Also assuming that when you say "towers" on the Mackie, that they are dual woofers.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 02-16-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Wizard

I do A/V Tech for a living and even when I'm setting up meeting rooms for 100 (seated) people (whom are generally quiet) the two Mackie / E/V or Eon self-powered speakers (on stands at about head level) are O.K., when people break between sessions, people talk over what's audible because the room isn't filled with sound so there's at least two concerns I have for your set-up.
    1) In order to fill the space with sound, you should probably place more speakers to increase the optimal audible area instead of trying to push more sound from one side of the room making the space near the speakers really loud and anything away from that area easily talked-over. Those people near the speakers WILL more than likely get Tinnitus when they go home... which is not good.
    and
    2) Pass-through means that each speaker in that chain will be on the same channel... and most music is recorded in Stereo. You can do it but you'll have delay between the front and back of the room... (noting the Dome has the same kind of delay problems as well) and you WILL hear it. So try to get a mixing board with delays and do your best to handle the acoustic anomalies of the dome (by setting up as many of the same kind of speakers as you can). If you go the route of of pass through be prepared to have people get confused when they hear music (which sounds like a whole night of train wrecking) and sit a lot of songs out. The goal here is to try and drown out the reflected sound and make that sound space sound as good as possible... by using multiple speakers around the room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast