Good deal or should i consider my options?
    Tech Student

Lightbulb Good deal or should i consider my options?

Hey guys,

so this guy has offered to sell me 2 cdj400s and a djm400 in a case for $1200. I think its a pretty good deal. Currently i have my buddies setup comprised of a cdj400,gemini cdj600 and a behringer 4 channel mixer but he wants the stuff back so im looking to have my own setup.

My dilemma is whether its worth it to invest in the cdjs vs a controller with a laptop. I also currently have a mixtrack pro with my old laptop running traktor. I was contemplating getting an S4 and picking up a macbook pro 13in.

My skills with beat matching are average but nothing spectacular by any means. I really want to learn to be proficient with cdjs so i think they are a wise purchase instead of picking up a new lapto/S4 combo.

What do you guys think? Any opinions appreciated.

Sounds to me like you already know what you want.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I was on the fence with the same decision.

I now have the 400s and i absolutely love them....Ive used my buddies s2 a lot and messed around with an s4 a few times...I think the s2 and s4 are great pieces of hardware, but even my friend who owns the s2 wishes he had my setup.

One thing i can say, i would try and grab the cdjs and case, but possibly look into a different mixer. Unless u really like the djm-400 then stick with it. Its not a bad mixer but figuring the cdjs go for about $400 each, that leaves you will $400 to get a different mixer or even toss in a little extra cash for a really nice second hand mixer...

Cant go wrong with the cdjs or the s4 though....
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Tech Student

thanks for the input, yea those are my options. I just need to really consider if im going to start playing in clubs/bars again in the near future. I definitely want to its just a question of how much free time i'll have. I'm just out of college and recently started my first job so dropping $1200 on anything (let alone on one of my hobbies) is big purchase at this point haha.

No way. You can get cdj400s for like 600 a pair and there is no way i would pay any more than $150 for a djm400 it's just not a great mixer or worth much more
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 02-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.

I almost bought a pair of 400s a couple months back for $400 (for both) off of craigslist. Instead I saved up and bought a pair of Techs and couldn't be happier.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    I almost bought a pair of 400s a couple months back for $400 (for both) off of craigslist. Instead I saved up and bought a pair of Techs and couldn't be happier.
    $400 for BOTH?!? And you didnt buy them?? Im sorry but i find that hard to believe. Unless they were broken....
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Tech Student

yea this is another issue entirely but i find CDJ's to be incredibly cheap feeling and insanely expensive for what they actually are. I could understand paying $1000-$1200 for top of the line stuff but the fact that people think 400's are worth more than $200 a piece is joke IMO. If it wasn't for the fact that they are a club standard (and more fun in some senses) i would be happy using an S4 like i used to for awhile.