Here's a crazy idea - using Ableton to record Traktor midi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Here's a crazy idea - using Ableton to record Traktor midi

I was thinking the other day how much I miss the ability to record my sets in Traktor Pro like you could in T2/T3 (overdub and edit a mix afterwards).

So I tried to imagine how I could create a diy version, perhaps with some 3rd party software. My initial thoughts are that we could route midi in/out of Traktor via Ableton Live (or another midi sequencer) and then have Live route the midi in/out to any midi controllers. This means that Ableton Live could potentially intercept any midi and record it.

What could you do with this midi afterwards? Well, for one thing you could play the set back and watch Traktor's controls move by themselves! But a more practical use would be editing any mistakes out by changing the timing of the midi events.

Thoughts?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Midi-pipe I think should be able to intercept the messages and re-output the messages from Ableton to another piece of sofware, I've only played around with it a bit but seems possible.

Only one thing :-S

You'd need to make certain you are selecting all your tracks via midi and your playlist does not change whatsoever.

I really do miss the record/automate function and wish they'd re-introduce it.

Mudo

Something like the Bridge feature "mixtape"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDoTAMqJA8

Tech Convert

/sigh
    yeah. thats the feature i would love to use. I know this Thread is 3 years old, but somehow there is nothing if you're planing to use Traktor and Ableton. Heck even Traktor and Maschine ain't working the way it should....

Any good news beside i need to switch to Serato Scratch to use Mixtape via the Bridge?
    that would make 2k for a decent Rane Mixer, 1,2K for two SL1210s and some bucks for accessory.... dang - still 3,2k.....

I though Serato abandoned the bridge..
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Convert

They did?
    dehyum...

i mean i could easily be wrong.. but i thought i heard they did away with it

anyone know?
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    i mean i could easily be wrong.. but i thought i heard they did away with it

anyone know?
    http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1426185#new

I think, if you look up the old smart mix topics & articles, you could come a long way.

Use AudioJack/Soundflower/alternative to route sound to Ableton, next to this make sure that the decks each have their own channel in Ableton.

This way you already have the sound channels isolated.

Next to this, see if you still need to capture the MIDI signals to manipulate Ableton. Perhaps record live(realtime) Dummy/Phantom clips in Ableton that correspond with the manipulation within Traktor could help?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Mudo

I have a silly solution to perform a very basic version of mixtape with any dvs (traktor included) but it will involve some "trickery" and maybe not everybody will be confortable with the resulting workflow.

How much interest are in this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast