scratchin with serato- sample set up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default scratchin with serato- sample set up

im wondering how the serato guys go about settin up for scratchin... when im out at the club doing my thing, i bring scratch vinyl with me so that i can cut up sumptin nice, but what im hoping to figure out is a way to quickly load my tool mp3s with out having to go thru my creates to fine em... are you preloading them to the SP^ the loading them to the deck and the carrying on... or is there something im missing?

Tech Mentor

You can have separate crate for scratch samples alone.... so you wont spend time searching for them.. or you can use search function ctrl+f. Or you could use sampler for that as you said.

Or use the prepare crate....
    Main Setup: Technics 1210, Rane Sixty Eight, Novation Dicers - Backup: Pioneer CDJ1000Mk3, Pioneer DJM400, Denon HC1000S
    Soundcard, Software, Midi & CPU: Rane SL4 & SL1, SSL, Ableton Live 8, Bridge, Mix Emergency. AKAI APC20 & MPD24, Touch OSC. Macbook Pro 15" Leopard, Macbook Pro 17" Lion, Dell 17" XP, Dell 17" Win7

yeah but when u load a track from the prepare folder, doesnt it it delete it from the folder... im looking for a fast way to load a scratch track... im upgrading to the sl3 which doesnt support the thru function like the sl1 did.. i wish there was a way to hot cue tracks in serato so that a short cut could load em on the fly without having to keep going into the folders.... as i add more n more midi controllers and getting comfortable with mapping them... im starting to find more n more fun bits... but starting to find other things that are getting annoying ( like no midi out on serato for leds on non-native controllers)

the sl3 which doesnt support the thru function like the sl1 did..
    The Thru mode on the SL3 is ALOT better than the SL1 IMO...
    Much quicker to use, less cables to set up. I own both SL1, SL4 & Sixty Eight BTW.
    And if you really prefer the SL1, then pick up a cheap used one
    (just remember it won't run on i-series cpu's for pc, on mac it works well)

when u load a track from the prepare folder, doesnt it it delete it from the folder
    True, it does, however, you can drag it from the deck back into the prepare after loading.

Another way is to use the sample player as a prepare window,
    keep your scratch sentence in the sample player and just drag it to your deck.

no midi out on serato for leds on non-native controllers
    I feel you on this, and hope Serato eventually will implement it.
    In the meantime there are some workarounds for both the NI X1 and Dicetools for the Novation Dicers.

starting to find other things that are getting annoying
    Every program out there has annoying bits, I also run Ableton & been looking at Traktor lately.
    Let me tell you, every software has weak spots, you just need to figure out how to work around it,
    and if the workarounds are non-effective, well then you'll need to look for other alternatives.
    Main Setup: Technics 1210, Rane Sixty Eight, Novation Dicers - Backup: Pioneer CDJ1000Mk3, Pioneer DJM400, Denon HC1000S
    Soundcard, Software, Midi & CPU: Rane SL4 & SL1, SSL, Ableton Live 8, Bridge, Mix Emergency. AKAI APC20 & MPD24, Touch OSC. Macbook Pro 15" Leopard, Macbook Pro 17" Lion, Dell 17" XP, Dell 17" Win7

i have an sl1 but to go from line to phono i just flip the source on my ttm56... doe sthe same hold tru for the sl3?

Quote Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609 View Post
    i have an sl1 but to go from line to phono i just flip the source on my ttm56... doe sthe same hold tru for the sl3?
    For SL2, SL3 & SL4 the through mode is in SSL software,
    just click a button next to abs/rel/int called thru.

Ie the thru signal is coming into the mixer on the same rca cable,
    if your source is vinyl it will be preamplified by the SL box.
    Trust me, its WAY more convenient, that's why they changed it in the first place.

Build a scratch weapons crate, toss it in there, done....like someone else said^^

i know to build a crate....and have had one for years... but what im trying to figure out is.. is there a way to load em up quicker without having to go thru the crate....for instance... i got jimmy jam flim flam on deck 2 and i wanna load up a scratch track to deck one super quick so i can throw in sum ah ahh ahhh ha ha ahha hhhhahhahahah's then then quick get back in the mix... whats the fastest way with out crate diggin? or are u guys building ur own custom scratch track with cue points

Quote Originally Posted by warpnote View Post
    For SL2, SL3 & SL4 the through mode is in SSL software,
    just click a button next to abs/rel/int called thru.

Ie the thru signal is coming into the mixer on the same rca cable,
    if your source is vinyl it will be preamplified by the SL box.
    Trust me, its WAY more convenient, that's why they changed it in the first place.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I never thought that the NI multicore cables were the least bit useful until I realized everyone had dropped the direct outs on DVS sound cards.

I still probably wouldn't buy the NI cables…I'd just build one. But still. That being said, I don't usually touch the computer when I'm mixing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast