Clarification!

Thread: Clarification!

Tech Wizard

Default Clarification!

Hey guys!
    Got a couple of questions for the forum. I recently made the decision to make the jump from DJ --> Producer. The gear that i currently own (nice studio monitors, xone dx controller, and a VERY nice PC. I am looking to produce hip-hop and advanced electronic music, using ableton and reason as my daws. my questions are....
    1) Due to the fact that the xone dx is NOT A MIXER, but a glorified midi controller, does it have the capability to "mix" within ableton, or do i actually need a legit analog mixer like the pioneer 800 or can i just map my faders/knobs within ableton and use it like a regular dj controller? also, if i do need to buy a mixer, do i need to buy a certain brand in order for ableton to recognize and track my physical mixing/button pressing and track the live changes within ableton?
    2) Do i need an audio interface with a built in midi interface? Ultimate goal is to buy an axiom 49 pro keyboard and a mashine... do i need both? which one should i buy first? my ultimate concern is that all of my midi are hooked up through usb, and as u know usb is on a bus system, so im worried about overloading the usb...would an external audio interface fix this? also any sugestions on a great starter "audio box"?
    3) i am EXTREMLY confused about how i am going to wire all of this, and if all this equipment is compatible? any suggestions or good websites that people know of to aid in my understanding of all this? maybe if somebody is REALLY nice, draw a basic wire diagram for me?
    4) what can i do with the xone dx sound card? im really confused...i have midi i/o spots for a mic with lpf & hpf, do i even need an external soundcard or is my dj controller one already? what can i do with my controller that i already have?
    5) all this shit is daunting! i would love some suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction, i dont want to go from 0-60 without structure....

I know it alot of question, but i hope that others can read this post and learn as well!

thanks all!

Tech Wizard

Also, i have attempted to search the forums for "newb" questions such as mine that are related to intro production. i gota say, very jumbled and hard to follow....could DJTT possibly do a featured article on the basics? i love the featured articles that they do and its always worded in a way that a moron can understand... i.e. me <-----

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Gre3nergy View Post
    Also, i have attempted to search the forums for "newb" questions such as mine that are related to intro production. i gota say, very jumbled and hard to follow....could DJTT possibly do a featured article on the basics? i love the featured articles that they do and its always worded in a way that a moron can understand... i.e. me <-----
    I agree with you on DJTT doing some type of article. Im really in the same boat as you, only difference u have djing exp, where I have none at all. It is quite confusing trying to learn which soft/hard what you need, different companies/products n that's just the tip if it all.

I think a sticky on djing, and also music production basics would be of great use especially to a complete noob like myself

+1 on that idea hope we get some type of clarification.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1) Due to the fact that the xone dx is NOT A MIXER, but a glorified midi controller, does it have the capability to "mix" within ableton, or do i actually need a legit analog mixer like the pioneer 800 or can i just map my faders/knobs within ableton and use it like a regular dj controller? also, if i do need to buy a mixer, do i need to buy a certain brand in order for ableton to recognize and track my physical mixing/button pressing and track the live changes within ableton?
    1. You can Map every fader/button/knob on the DX to controls Within Ableton
    2. You can use the DX's (very nice) soundcard with Ableton
    3. Your DX does not draw power from USB
    4. The DX has a VERY nice soundcard already.

what can i do with my controller that i already have?
    You'll need to read the manual for Ableton, how the mapping works, and figure out what way you want to use it - the possibilites are endless really and no-one can tell you what way you should use your DX or any other gear you buy.

The 2 areas where you might feel restricted with your DX is clip triggering and FX - I'm using an APC40, but it has quite a few shortcomings as well (no EQ per channel for example) and of course no soundcard.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Although it isnt a dedicated mixer, you can map any of the controls to work with the integrated mixer in Ableton. If you do buy a mixer, most of the more modern ones have midi capabilities and again can be mapped easily.

2) Do i need an audio interface with a built in midi interface? Ultimate goal is to buy an axiom 49 pro keyboard and a mashine... do i need both? which one should i buy first? my ultimate concern is that all of my midi are hooked up through usb, and as u know usb is on a bus system, so im worried about overloading the usb...would an external audio interface fix this? also any sugestions on a great starter "audio box"?

Not really, just use the soundcard that you already have built into your controller. You can get a midisport 4ch for all your midi controllers, which is what I do so they all go through the same channel. Audio Interfaces and Soundcards are essentially doing the same thing. Maschine is awesome, and I really respect NI. But personally, Ableton is already "Maschine", and you can do exactly the same things with it. Just learn to really work with what you have first !

3) i am EXTREMLY confused about how i am going to wire all of this, and if all this equipment is compatible? any suggestions or good websites that people know of to aid in my understanding of all this? maybe if somebody is REALLY nice, draw a basic wire diagram for me?

Best way to figure that out is to go to google images and search ''Ext Mixer setup, dj" or something to that effect, they usually have schematics that you can easily follow.

4) what can i do with the xone dx sound card? im really confused...i have midi i/o spots for a mic with lpf & hpf, do i even need an external soundcard or is my dj controller one already? what can i do with my controller that i already have?

It should just pick it up in Ableton, and you can use it for your sound, depending on how many I/O's it has, you should be fine with just that.

5) all this shit is daunting! i would love some suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction, i dont want to go from 0-60 without structure....

Any questions you need, just ask me or anyone on here ! or watch videos on youtube. Many producers make awesome videos that can teach you alot. Make sure you know basic stuff too because in the end it will mess you up. Dubspot is an awesome site for any ableton tutorials. All their videos are on youtube. Check it out !