Fluent with s4. What next? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sure, resort to ad hominem attacks for no reason whatsoever...

You can turn off the phase meter in Traktor, not use sync, and not look at the waveforms. Hell, once you pick your track you can close your laptop lid or face it away. That's how I learned to beatmatch on the S4. Is it the same as CDJs? No. Is it as convenient to beatmatch as it is on CDJs? No. It is however less than half as expensive to use the S4/S2, especially when you already have one, and with discipline you can accomplish the same thing. Nevermind the fact that if you can legitimately beatmatch on an S4 with the small jogs and the small pitch fader, you'll have no trouble on CDJs. I don't disagree that CDJs are better to get used to, but considering this guy has only had an S4 for 3 months I doubt he's at the point where he needs new equipment to grow his skills as a DJ. Were I the OP, I'd worry a lot more about creating tight mixes with interesting transitions and good song selection. I wouldn't worry about dishing out another $1-2k only to get used to CDJs when you can do pretty much the same thing already with an S4. I moved from a VCI-100 to an S4 to now a DJM 900 and two technics 1200s. I did that over the course of about 2.5 years though, not 3 months. Since switching over to DVS, my mixing has improved quite a bit; however, if I had done that 3 months in I honestly think it would have just been overwhelming. OP says he's "mastered" the S4, but I seriously doubt that's happened 3 months in. I've seen the same thing with people playing on CDJs - they've "mastered them" and they're "bored with them." The issue is that those same people are usually doing simple A->B mixing and aren't pushing themselves to be more creative with the tools they already have at their disposal. Buying new gear doesn't make you a better DJ, pushing yourself to try new things does; and the OP can easily do that with the S4.

But yeah, I'm an idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmanning View Post
    Yeah because beatmatching on an s4 with traktor and beatmatching with CDJ is the same thing.... idiot
    Beatmatching is beatmatching no matter what you are using. The principle is the same!! Maybe before calling someone an idiot you should get your shit straight! It may be different equipment but the methodology is IDENTICAL!

They force you to use your ears, and get better at beatmatching without the use of a visual aid.
    This has already been answered... no need to spend money if you just want to train your ears!!

cdjs are the club standard, and thus getting a set and getting good on them is a Good idea.
    Correct well done.

You can get a decent set of cdjs and a djm400 on ebay or craigslist
    Nothing decent about a DJM 400 IMO - thats why they are cheap!

OP - CDJ's should be considered if anyone fancies something new and they can be extremely simplistic and fun. However you dont need them to improve your skills.

Please dont also think that reaching for that beatmasher will make you any better. it wont!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

My advice: Buy a mouse head
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    The issue is that those same people are usually doing simple A->B mixing and aren't pushing themselves to be more creative with the tools they already have at their disposal. Buying new gear doesn't make you a better DJ, pushing yourself to try new things does; and the OP can easily do that with the S4.
    This.

Once you start exploring all the different combination of samples / cues / loops / effects, you'll probably find you are far from "mastering" anything other than a simple intro/outro transition.

I don't know how you are getting away without using the crossfader. Between that, the filters, and the cues - I have my hands on one of those controls all night.

Crossfaders are for scratching, not mixing.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Crossfaders are for scratching, not mixing.
    Do explain? If I want sharp cuts or to shut a channel off, I just use the crossfader. I don't want to use the full length of a fader to bring in white noise stabs, nor would I use it with cue points when I want to track to play continuously. If I need smoother controls, I use faders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123