Fluent with s4. What next?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Fluent with s4. What next?

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the dj community. I picked up s4 about 3 months ago and have been learning to blend, beatmatch and just getting the flow down. I think the mixes I make come out sounding well - no complaints there. Thing is, now i find myself playing someone else's tracks and thats all. I feel i can be more engaged in the whole djing process. Since i play progressive house, i feel a lot of the time i am just standing around since i can pin point the next song and mix it in easily. I want to continue growing but not sure where to start. I am considering production to remix tracks myself and then play them. I was told Ableton is a good software to use. I used to play around in FL, but since i use Mac, I heard FL doesn't come on it.

Maybe i am just getting in my own head about being limited to only s4 and nothing else? Perhaps you guys can point in a right direction (videos, articles) to learn more techniques in traktor or recommend steps to take toward production. What would be a next step reasonable investment?

Thanks!
    V

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Sounds like you are not taking any advantage of the sample decks and loop recorder, you can try playing around with those, the future Traktor update looks quite promising in this area. You can try the Ableton demo for 30 days before purchasing anything, there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube. Music production takes quite some time before you normally get results you like and are usable on the booth, so be patient.

Tech Mentor

I guess i would need to start using SYNC when playing loops while mixing - i would imagine it could be very difficult to make sure each one of them is in tune eh...

You are right i wasn't really taking advantage of loops/clue point much. I also haven't been playing around with crossfader - i've been using volume faders to bring in/out the tracks.

How about Midi Fighter - seems I can pre-load many loops - that can add additional levels of complexity. I just want to be more involved in the mixing that is all.

I really want to play something (at least on a basic level) unique, but i keep sounding like im just putting tracks one after the other. Does creativity come with practise when i feel more comfortable making risky moves in the mixes?

Any suggestions on starting developing unique mixing style? I've been listening to Porter Robinson and i love how he has been playing

Tech Wizard

advanced use of Loops and cue points define and set apart a good DJ from an EXCELLENT one... also, watch youtube videos. (CHECK OUT "Caution DJ Tutorial") he puts out some great stuff.. DL the songs and follow along and build up your DJ skillz toolbox and eventually you 2 CAN ROCK CROWDS OF THOUSANDS!!!!!

If youre going down the road for production, and making your songs to play, I wouldnt advise using traktor loops and cues/effects. All of those abilites are cool, but you can do all of that on ableton and MUCH more. To me its a no brainer, Ableton is the best of both worlds seeing how you can use it for Djing as well.

i got sick of the s4 after about 8 months.sold it and got some cdj's,mixer and ableton to record/produce.heaps more challenging and real now.

@OP If you've really "Mastered the s4" in 3 months I'm wondering if you can post some mixes. While the S4 may not be to your liking as a DJ I highly doubt you've "mastered" it in 3 months time. Maybe I'm talking out of my a$$, if so, post some mixes and prove me wrong. Sorry, i don't mean to come off as negative but maybe you need to consider a different controller or method of mixing.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Not really into EDM, but listening to some of what's hot right now, Chuckie mainly comes to mind. All of his remixes could be made using the sample/loops idea. Grab bass lines from that track, drums from this track, vocals frI'm somewhere else and have it all playing in time with the proper EQing and you've made a remix on the fly! I think Ableton would come more into play if you were attempting mash-ups using music that wasn't already "in-time" by warping the track.

I could see getting bored mixing EDM real quick. Your genres are all the same BPM!
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Dubstyles1 View Post
    i got sick of the s4 after about 8 months.sold it and got some cdj's,mixer and ableton to record/produce.heaps more challenging and real now.
    but i have been dj'n for about 5yrs.i doubt that you have perfected mixing in 3 months.
    watch these and you will see there's alot more to mixing.
    carl cox
    http://youtu.be/OSBI0s89E-Y
    jeff mills
    http://youtu.be/7bLanIfR13A
    matt cooper
    http://youtu.be/OS7eJeqfd_I

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all your comments guys. Definitely didn't 'master' or 'perfected' mixing but i think i got pretty good - Just want to continue growing. So thanks for all ideas and thoughts - will keep pushing it.

cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast