Soundcard setup ableton
    Tech Convert

Default Soundcard setup ableton

Hi fellow artists...

I have a 2 channel analog dj mixer that I use with a pair of CDJ's. The mixer has 1 usb port on the pack of it plus all the rca in/outs as well.

Question: I want to use the mixer with ableton live to dj. How do i set up the mixer to use with ableton live? How do I setup the soundcard and everything specifically. I'm having trouble with this is it possible to use the isb instead?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

it'll depend what mixer

What are your intentions with Ableton - just playing a track at a time or remix live at which stage you will need cueing as well.

Tech Mentor

would be helpful to know the mixer

I am going to presume as it has usb... it will have at least 2 stereo channel soundcard. If so plug it in and then in ableton preferences page change the audio setting to the soundcard.

Once you have done this you can then assign individual audio channels to be routed out of the stereo channels by selecting external out and then the audio channel you want it to be routed to

I am not 100% when it come to mixers with built in soundcards.. but this should/maybe then allow you to crossfade/cue from you mixer?? (maybe)
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

The majority of the cheaper USB mixers only have either one stereo out or one stereo in one out.

Need more info on your gear mate..

When I'm playing Ableton with CD's (generally half/half) I route my cue to one mixer input and master to another on the line switch so I don't need to swap my headphones out.

If your mixer has got 2xstereo out on usb it should be pretty simple

Tech Convert

hey everyone thanks for all your help this is the mixer im using and what it looks like on the back

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    it'll depend what mixer

What are your intentions with Ableton - just playing a track at a time or remix live at which stage you will need cueing as well.

Yes, I plan to Dj and remix on the fly and cueing

this is the mixer im using and what it looks like on the back
    How about you provide ACTUAL information about your gear ? ... make & model of the equipment and link to spec sheet if you can or else no help can be provided.

*edit I had to go into the picture properties to see where you linked the image from ..

No your mixer is no good for Ableton unless you intend just to mix your ableton songs with CD's already playing, you need a 4ch Soundcard like Audio2 in order to cue - His mixer is a Behringer NOX202 btw in case anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Tech Mentor

yup... you need an audio card with 2 stereo outs.

the audio 2 dj is a cheap and amazing sound card
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    How about you provide ACTUAL information about your gear ? ... make & model of the equipment and link to spec sheet if you can or else no help can be provided.

*edit I had to go into the picture properties to see where you linked the image from ..

No your mixer is no good for Ableton unless you intend just to mix your ableton songs with CD's already playing, you need a 4ch Soundcard like Audio2 in order to cue - His mixer is a Behringer NOX202 btw in case anyone is wondering.
    Sorry about that man....ok so a audio 2 dj sound card is good? Or any interface with 2 stereo outs correct?

Yep yep ... anything with 2 stereo outs would do the trick, The Audio2 is a safe bet tried and tested and for the price (under $100) you really won't do any better.