Mix

Thread: Mix

Tech Mentor

Default Mix

Is it wrong to play an entire song in the mix? For example, some people mostly bring in the song in the outro of the other, so it sounds better and smooth, but I don't know if this is only starters and I'm starting to feel like playing the entire songs in a mix, like ruins everything, should I mix only like small parts of the songs? Or I don't know, any help on this?

I think it definitely depends on what song it is, and what crowd your playing for. For example, in a recorded mixtape for promo-use it's probably not the best idea. I like to show as much as possible in as short of a time as possible when passing around a demo so people can get a better idea of my mixing style. On the dancefloor with a dedicated crowd however, i don't see a problem with playing full tracks, if the song is exiting all the way through that is. But i always make sure to read the crowd. You don't wanna bore people.

It's up to you really. The technical aspect of DJing is basically making sure the music never stops. After that - it's personal preference.

Personally I think songs are the length they are because they are meant to be listened to that way, so I tend to play most of the duration of a song.

If a house tune (for example) doesn't keep your interest for 5 minutes or so then it's not good enough for me to play in the first place.

And boredom works both ways. Just because you've mixed the same track 1000 times and are sick to death with the hook, doesn't mean that the crowd doesn't want you to play the track out.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 02-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

good advice^
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueScope View Post
    I think it definitely depends on what song it is, and what crowd your playing for. For example, in a recorded mixtape for promo-use it's probably not the best idea. I like to show as much as possible in as short of a time as possible when passing around a demo so people can get a better idea of my mixing style. On the dancefloor with a dedicated crowd however, i don't see a problem with playing full tracks, if the song is exiting all the way through that is. But i always make sure to read the crowd. You don't wanna bore people.
    Definite +1 for this.

In a demo, mix after every few phrases. In a set, judge the crowd as to how long you can get away with.

Tech Mentor

If I'm making an hour mix, for pure fun?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJSp1n View Post
    In this case, play what you want, however you want.

Genre is a massive factor as well, if its hip hop you'd expect to smash between tracks faster than if you were playing liquid dnb or minimal house etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSp1n View Post
    Then do whatever is the most fun! As for playing out, I'm a huge believer in playing most or all of the song. There are times I just want to throw a phrase in or mash something up but most of the time it makes far more sense to me to play most of the song. And I really can't stand listening to DJs in clubs who are all about quick mixing and never play more than a phrase - it just sounds show-offy, and it's annoying to have the chorus ripped out from under you just as you get into it. But mixing at home for pleasure I often burn through songs quicker because it's more about refining my own skills and covering more ground. Then again I often stop mixing and let a song play out and kick back too; it's all about doing whatever you like at that point.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan