FX Units
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FX Units

Default FX Units

Hey guys,

I've got a Xone 92 and CDJ 900s and I've been looking for an effects unit to add to my set up without having to add a laptop + traktor. I found the Pioneer EFX-1000 but I'm not a fan of how Pioneer's effects sound. I prefer the effects to sound more subtle, like in the Xone DB2/4. Is there anything else other the the EFX-500/1000 that could be used as an effects unit? Haven't had luck finding anything. Would be nice if Allen & Heath would make something like a revised Xone 2D that used their iLive studio effects just like their new mixers....

Thanks

Tech Wizard

I've tried pretty much all effects units, from vintage stuff like a Space Echo and an Eventide Harmonizer to all the newest stuff, including a dedicated laptop running Ableton.

In my opinion the EFX-1000 is hands-down the best live effects processor ever made. But, like you, I don't want the effects to stand out. I control the triggering of my effects by using the Wet/Dry knob instead of switches, etc... This allows me to make them as subtle as I want. Also, the effects are surprisingly deep and nuanced even though they have very few parameters.

hth,
    rs

I've been thinking about this as well, I'd love to have a couple of analog filters in a box beside my mixer.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

A&H made a filter unit:

I don't know if they still sell it, and it's expensive. But it seems like the world kind of ignored effects like that. Kaoss pads and the EFX-1000 are about the limit at this point, AFAIK.

When Electrix were still around, they made some rack stuff that was supposed to be pretty good. And there are studio-oriented reverb and delay units. Plus, some guitar effects come in stereo packages…but they're not subtle.

I'd love an analog delay…something like a stereo version of the MXR Analog Delay pedal with a control structure that would work for DJ gear…but I'm not convinced it's going to happen.

^that's cool didn't know about that

Tech Mentor

Looking at one of these for each channel of my Empath:

http://moogmusic.com/products/500-se...-ladder-filter

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    Looking at one of these for each channel of my Empath:

http://moogmusic.com/products/500-se...-ladder-filter
    I like the look of that, a bit pricey though.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Well it certainly looks good, and it must certainly sounds good, but this is a "500" modular serie type of processor, that means you would have to buy much more than just one of these to get it to work, you need a power section and usually a case for it. For the price of two of these plus the case/power supply you could buy a xone db4
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Quote Originally Posted by ryansupak View Post
    In my opinion the EFX-1000 is hands-down the best live effects processor ever made. But, like you, I don't want the effects to stand out. I control the triggering of my effects by using the Wet/Dry knob instead of switches, etc... This allows me to make them as subtle as I want. Also, the effects are surprisingly deep and nuanced even though they have very few parameters.
    Don't know if I could justify spending that much on an effects unit that's so old. You'd think that the price would've dropped after being on the market since '05

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    Not a fan of how it sounds but I've stumbled upon the Kaoss Pad Quad. Anyone have experience with it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast