Dont Understand This... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I wasn't mixing when ipods weren't around, and I'm certainly not old enough to remember buying LPs (though I have since discovered my dad's collection which is brilliant), but I still have trouble remembering song names. I should really use cover art in my software or something, because thinking 'that song that goes duh duh duh-duh-duhhhh' is fucking useless haha.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    Its a garuntee that I can type the artist, the track, or even just half the track name and find it and load it and having it playing before you take that cd out of the sleeve
    It is also a guarentee that i can pop in my first track and be mixing away before your laptop is even out of your bag.

I've played with vinyl, cdjs and various software in the 7 years i've been doing this, if it was my choice, my gig, i would be playing with 2 laptops and various controllers, controlling ableton and lighting/video.
    In the real world i take cds (usb sticks if you know the club players support them) over the hassle of computers any day.

Cds are far from dead, they are durable, simple, cheap and reliable.

I am by no means slagging off the computer approach, for example i could never dj a wedding or standard top 40 club with cds, handling requests etc. is ridiculous with cds, even if you have the track.
    But in the context of a club, focusing on your genre/style where you have an idea of a set but live pa/controllerisms wont fly (people just want to dance) then you can not beat cds for simplicity.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJSp1n View Post
    Who the f*** uses CDs nowadays? Digital FTW.
    Last time i checked CDs were digital.

Tech Mentor

I own all three (CDJ-900, s2, and sl-1200). I love all three, but playing on the CDJ is just so much more enjoyable to me. I feel more in control, even if im using a laptop.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Last time i checked CDs were digital.
    wrote it wrong but whatever you get my point..

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    MY point, MOST people would find it easier to just type the track name or artist then pull out a cd wallet and have to find a cd. You can argue with variables and there are always going to be variables but the majority of the time you will find this to be true.
    I have to disagree, and back what Mostapha said for the simple fact that (what seems like) 9 out of 10 people I know all agree it was easier to find what you wanted with records. Everyone I know has said there was something about the visual aspect of flipping through wax in a flight case at a club that was a lot easier when it came to finding the track you were looking for.

more on topic with the OP, maybe I can bring a somewhat fresh view to the table too. Nothing that hasn't been said, but from a different point somewhat. I used to help my friend run a club that he owned a while back. This was when final scratch and CDJ's were still new. One of his biggest gripes was the final scratch thing due to DJ's needing to start rewiring things. While this isn't that big of an issue and most guys know what to do, sometimes problems arose. When you own and run a club, and have to be responsible for every aspect of the night, that is just one more potential headache you don't want to deal with. As an owner/manager, you prefer things like the music to go flawlessly... that's the expectation that technics set after 20+ years of next to no problems, and they set the bar extremely high.
    Long story short, DJ booth industry standards have gone relatively problem free outside of routine maintenance for a long time, and DVS/Midi/Controllers have yet to prove that. The computers DJ's use are not as reliable, and their users (touching club equipment) have proven to be even less reliable.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    It is also a guarentee that i can pop in my first track and be mixing away before your laptop is even out of your bag.

I've played with vinyl, cdjs and various software in the 7 years i've been doing this, if it was my choice, my gig, i would be playing with 2 laptops and various controllers, controlling ableton and lighting/video.
    In the real world i take cds (usb sticks if you know the club players support them) over the hassle of computers any day.

Cds are far from dead, they are durable, simple, cheap and reliable.

I am by no means slagging off the computer approach, for example i could never dj a wedding or standard top 40 club with cds, handling requests etc. is ridiculous with cds, even if you have the track.
    But in the context of a club, focusing on your genre/style where you have an idea of a set but live pa/controllerisms wont fly (people just want to dance) then you can not beat cds for simplicity.
    Maxted, if you want to chest puff I can certainly do that. In the 23 years I have been a DJ, playing on vinyl, using cassette decks, using consumer cd players before CDJs, CDJs and now a laptop and a controller, I am very well versed in every medium having used them all extensively, and actually using each of them longer than your 7 year DJ career. Just so you don't think I just started DJing 2 years ago with a laptop and controller and know nothing else. I know them all. Your remark "It is also a guarentee that i can pop in my first track and be mixing away before your laptop is even out of your bag." is out of context to the rest of that conversation. The conversation was about quickly finding a track by just typing it in, loading, and have it playing faster then thumbing through a cd wallet, find the cd, taking it out, loading it in, getting to the track #, and playing it. It wasn't about set up time. Yes, if I go to a club that has equipment and all I gotta do is pop in a cd, yes it would be faster than setting up a laptop, but thats all it would be. Again, the conversation wasn't about set up time, it was about practical application. When I did use CDs, I carried 5 bag/cases holding 60 cds each. I never owned a CD wallet because I didn't like thumbing through books and I wanted to see everything in front of me. Not 1 day has gone by that I have ever missed carrying bags of cds or crates of records.

CDs being reliable and durable?? I have cds burned from before you started your DJ career that won't play anymore. Not very reliable to me. So get back to me when your cds get a little wear and tear on them. I have records older than me that still play perfectly though. The cd is dying a faster death than vinyl or cassettes.

For me the cdj's have a much better feel to them. Plus like you mentioned before, its the durability and risk factor that really makes me want to use them more. I don't know if they are considered ''dying'' but I see the digital storm taking over pretty fast.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I have to disagree, and back what Mostapha said for the simple fact that (what seems like) 9 out of 10 people I know all agree it was easier to find what you wanted with records. Everyone I know has said there was something about the visual aspect of flipping through wax in a flight case at a club that was a lot easier when it came to finding the track you were looking for.
    I agree with that as well, finding records was easier than finding cds, but now its alot faster to type in a track name than to have to find the record provided of course you do know the track name. Mostapha in his Sheldon Cooper (and I say that with love) like answer was right about people visually remembering things. To this day if you name a track from say 20-25 years ago that I have on vinyl my brains natural response is to picture the actual label on the record or the record sleeve. Also the fact that all my records were in BPM order for mixing purposes made it more complicated if someone said play a song by this artist and I have to thumb through everything to find all the different records since most records were 12" versions. Now it doesn't matter what folder that mp3 is in, I type in the artist name and every mp3 I have of that artist pops up right in front of me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast