Laptop Pci firwire cards

Default Laptop Pci firwire cards

So i think i have come to the final conclusion that the reason my traktor keeps freezing up is because the 4 pin firewire connection on my dell inspiron. Now i started to look through newegg.com to find that firewire cards are still around 50$, which is a little bit more than what i really want to pay.

Can i get some recommendations of cheap but reliable pci firewire cards that yall have used?
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

ive had the same problem dude, is a firewire card, one of those pin adapters? that was the only solution i could come up with. besides duct tape anyway, which is what i use when i need to heh
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

i'd say it is also a possibility that the firewire chipset in that dell could be problematic as well.

look for one that has the texas instruments firewire chipset, that one has the least problems from what i have seen.

good luck.

whats up with the firewire? b/c i got inspired by latest article here on DJTT, so i am likely to buy external hard-drive that can go up to firewire port (to free some usb space) - could be there some trouble, or is it just you, DELL guys? (i got VAIO btw)
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    whats up with the firewire? b/c i got inspired by latest article here on DJTT, so i am likely to buy external hard-drive that can go up to firewire port (to free some usb space) - could be there some trouble, or is it just you, DELL guys? (i got VAIO btw)
    Firewire connections are trustful. Most of the times you have issues as mentioned here using a 4 pin connector which is what most of laptops have. This connector tend to get loose with time wich may cause your device to temporarily disconnect which can cause diferent issues depending on the device you are using. Most of this issues can be solved using a 6 pin connector or having a pci card with 6 pin connectors. Anyways I use an HP with the common 4 pin connector and have never suffered any disconnection, and my connection is not loose.
    Using a high quality firewire cable as the M-audio cables should prevent issues also.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i'd say it is also a possibility that the firewire chipset in that dell could be problematic as well.
    good luck.
    Thanks what im thinking it is. When i DJ my set up never really moves around, so there shouldnt be a problem with temporarily losing a connection on the wire itself.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

what model is it? if you do a google search like dell model number firewire chipset problems you might find other people out there with the same issues.

Kupujte_Pytle, if you are just talking about using a firewire harddrive, most if not all chipsets will work properly, but when you start talking about firewire soundcards some of them can be very picky on what chipset they play nice with.

in general there are so many positive things being said about using a firewire soundcard but there is also a dark underworld of incompatibility if you are stuck with the wrong chipset.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    Kupujte_Pytle, if you are just talking about using a firewire harddrive, most if not all chipsets will work properly, but when you start talking about firewire soundcards some of them can be very picky on what chipset they play nice with.
    yeah, i just got audio 8 so i won't be going firewire route for soundcard in quite some time . So anywayz, i'll try to get firewire harddrive and will see if that 4pin connections works fine (else i will get the express card with 6 pin)
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII