xs2man's set-up
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: xs2man's set-up

Tech Mentor

Default xs2man's set-up

Well, new here, so this is my first post until I get more acquainted with the forum.

Bought my first decks back in 1998 or there abouts. Got a set of 1210 mk2's and spent the next 6-8 years building up a vinyl collection. Now have about 2500 records, mostly progressive, tribal, breaks and trance.

Took a break for a few years while I went back to uni (got too mashed and played the decks too much to pass first time round). Anyway, when I finished uni, I spent too much time on my career, and when I finally decided to try my hand again, things had moved on too much, and couldn't get vinyl locally.

So, I invested a little. My current set-up is as follows:

2 x Pioneer CDJ350
    1 x Pioneer DJM 800
    1 x Sennheisser HD25 1-II
    Cheapo Dell Optiplex PC running Audacity for recording.

I'm currently experimenting with Virtual DJ and Traktor just now. Haven#t decided if I will even use either of them, just playing about.

I still have the 1210's, with Gold Concorde needles, but they are in the coffin. A lack of space at the moment restricts me a little.

Its a mess just now, but here are some pics.

Comments welcome.

haven't you tried timecode vinyl to control your dj software until yet or do you like it more to control it with the cdj350's ?

nice setup btw ;o)
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Nice vinyl collection You should get traktor scratch/serato or such like so you can use your technics with your current music collection (that is of course unless you prefer the 350s)

Tech Mentor

Well, I am quite liking my 350s at the moment. I just don't really have the room for setting up the 1210's too. As you can see from the pics, it is a little tight in there.

Plus, I'm only using the 350's as controllers. I don't have any hardware for setting up the 1210's with timecodes. The 350's are only basic controllers, and I'm only really experimenting with using the software to get my mp3 collection to the 350s without usb sticks or hard-drives.

Once I have sorted out the space requirements, I will try to get the 350s and 1210's altogether through the DJM, using Traktor or VDJ (depending on what I prefer, I have only used VDJ once and never used Traktor yet) simply as a means of getting the music to the CDJs. I couldn't afford 900's or 2000's (well I could have, but it was a lot of cash to be spending 7 years since last playing decks) so I could have just used Rekordbox.

Thanks for the comments though. Isn't a cheap hobby. And you can only see about half my vinyl.

Tech Mentor

Well, since setting up the last time, I tried a little switching around.

Turns out I'm about 2-3 cm short in that space to have the DJM, CDJs and 1210's (Battle style). Gutted is an understatement.

Will have to sort out some deck stands for the CDJ's to bring them above the turntables and have everything set out correctly. In the meantime though, I will have to live with this dodgy set-up. But at least I can now utilise my entire music collection now when I'm mixing.

Here are some (horrible quality phone) pics:

Set up my 1210's

With my DJM

Can get a cheeky CDJ in one corner

But not the other

Still, now have 4 decks to play with, so not all bad. And can finally start getting some of that vinyl ripped to mp3.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Try the tables in 'battle mode'!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post

Turns out I'm about 2-3 cm short in that space to have the DJM, CDJs and 1210's (Battle style). Gutted is an understatement.
    Unfortunately, already tried that.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Nice clean setup,
    not a fan of the CDJ350's 2bh but each to their own

Where did you get the gold concordes?!
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

Cheers.

Well, when I was looking for CDJ's a few months ago I set myself a budget. Absolutely no more than £1000. Couldn't really find anything better than the CDJ's for that money. There were basically no 850's second hand at the time (I spent about a month looking first), the 900's were out of budget by quite a bit, and so were the 2000's obviously.

So I managed to get the 350's, new, with 4 years warranty for under £1k, so thought I might as well just go down that road. Had to set the budget there as it had been about 7-8 years since I last played decks, so £1k was all I was willing to gamble. Then almost straight away bought the DJM too. Again, ideally wanted the 900, but it was out of reach. Since buying the 800 though kinda wish I'd went for an A&H. May consider upgrading the CDJ's next year though, work dependant. See what like the new 2000's are first.

I have had them concordes for YEARS. They were limited edition, in a nice little box with spare stylii. Cost a fortune, but I love them.

Nice looking setup made! Unlucky about the space though! Always a nightmare!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast