Headphones (namely Sony MDR-700)

Default Headphones (namely Sony MDR-700)

So like the thread states i bought the sony mdr-700's about two months ago, but im not really enjoying, maybe there too big or bulky but idk i just cant place why i dont like them. Not that im in the market for new ones, but was wondering if anyone could recommend something similar in price about $200-250 but better comfort and quality. Any suggestions welcome, cheers!

Tech Guru

I never really enjoyed the V700 nor understood how it became an industry standard over the years - bad build quality, ear pads, faulty hinges, heavily colored sound. Just my $0.02 though :P

I currently own the Sennheiser HD-25 mkII and love them, they are lightweight and have superior noise isolation, and really solid sound quality (a little heavy on the low end, but not as bad as the V700). They currently have a market price of about $200 or so.

An alternative is also the MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 - both are studio style headphones which are equally as sturdy in build, and priced lower at around the $60-$120 range. Their sound quality is also very nice, and have a more flat range unlike headphones catering towards DJs. I've owned both of these headphones and love them, and recommend them.

Sony also recently releases a brand new line to replace the aforementioned headphones: the MDR-7510 and the MDR-7520. I havent tried either one yet but they look promising and very robust in build quality. If I recall right, they also have bigger drivers if you are into the more bass heavy sound.

http://www.djdeals.com/sonyMDR7510.htm
    http://www.djdeals.com/sonyMDR7520.htm

Aside from that, theres of course the Pioneer HDJ-2000's, which have great sound and built quality, but they're *very* bulky and sit somewhat heavy on your head (probably due to their metal frame). They're like a higher quality approach to the V700 in my opinion.

Anyhow, those are some recommendations off the top of my head from the ones I've tried over the years

i just bought a set of krk 8400's today for production and they're incredible, tanked a set of senn's i tried (HD200's i think?) and basically all the other production headphones the shop had, lovely beasts.

Tech Mentor

I have just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD25 1-II's are have no complaints. Well except that the AIAIAI TMA-1's were out of stock everywhere making me buy the HD's.

By all accounts, the HD25's have nothing but rave reviews from DJ's everywhere I have looked though.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

An alternative is also the MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 - both are studio style headphones which are equally as sturdy in build, and priced lower at around the $60-$120 range. Their sound quality is also very nice, and have a more flat range unlike headphones catering towards DJs. I've owned both of these headphones and love them, and recommend them.
    +1 Much more sturdy, sound bloody brilliant and a HELL of a lot more comfortable than the V700's which I always felt were too heavy, clunky, plasticy and colored the sound horribly.

+1 on the HD25's as well, if you want lightweight and great sounding headphones. The cable is not quite as sturdy as the 7506/V6 - but it is replaceable.

I prefer the V6's over the 25's - had mine for 12 years + and still going strong with 7+ hours a day on them, I just find them more "revealing" on the top end and bass not exaggerated compared with other "DJ" headphones.

The new sony 7510 are supposed to sound better than the V6/7506 .. BUT they dont fold up (WHY!!!!) which is a deal breaker for me or i'd possibly pick up a pair.

I've used the 7506 for over 3 years now...heavy, heavy use as well and has traveled across the Atlantic numerous times. They've been rock solid and I adore them!
    That said i'm waiting for IEMs at the moment.

**DING! 1,000** /golf claps

Got the hdj2000's recently and love them!
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Tech Wizard

I tried a lot of them. HD25 are worth the price.

Tech Wizard

I just bought the AIAIAI's and I have to say I am very impressed at the quality and have been enjoying them. They are simple and the sound is good.