I beseech you, DJ gurus..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I beseech you, DJ gurus..

Preface: I am in way over my head.
    Premise one: Overestimated my capabilities
    Premise two: Very little luck finding traktor/vci specific tutorials
    Conclusion: Djtechtools to the rescue (?)

I want to learn to mix, and I am beyond confused. I have roughly 36 different strings of thought mixed together in my head, from beatmatching to genre choice to appropriately cataloging my music, and I have no idea where to begin. I've checked out websites like djtutor, but I've had little luck- I was hoping I could find some information directly applicable to the vci 100 or traktor pro (and it doesnt help that I'm using the tsi 2.2, with on overlay/instructional video). If somebody could:
    A) Clarify how to mix songs in an environment where the bpm is already constructed for you (and by that I mean, I don't quite understand how to sync tracks, or even if I can use tracks outside of that bpm- although that stuff is more general, I'm just confused as to the advantage of auto beatmatching. Does that simply clarify what songs I can mix, or does it actually preclude beatmatching?)
    B) Teach me what songs I can even mix in the first place
    C) Throw me a life preserver

I would greatly appreciate any assistance at all (that traktor pro bible needed to come out yesterday)- and yes, I've tried searching/lurking/looking at eans tutorial vids.
    Prostrate and meek,
    -AM
    Last edited by thegreyam; 04-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Tech Mentor

It's a pretty open question. If you have your hardware sorted, cueing etc. Why don't you just try mixing a tracks from outro to intro. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to this, just practice over time. You probably know already what genres you like.

Sync does preclude beatmatching in the traditional sense but leaves time for more creative things, fx, looping, more decks. etc.

You only ned to check out B33son's set to know what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyeWZB-6hM

Try and listen to mixes and figure out how they have done certain things. It's all about developing your own style at the end of the day (and having fun)

Ean has a good tutorial on beatgridding, check that out to learn more about sync etc.
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

Tech Guru

Yea I can feel where you are, I was there about 4 or 5 months ago. The main points I can stress are read/listen to all info on djing that you can it all has its own relevance and there is no right way.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Convert

Step by step.
    You choose which ones.

...Unless you need to party mix in a hurry, say next wiken.

In other words, other than having the picture complete beforehand get your hands on it.

If you feel you've read enough and still are confused... (as said above) keep reading if U like and/or get your hands at it and relax; it will come up to you,
    sometimes gradually, sometimes in shocks. haha

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Start of by practicing, it doesn't matter how crap you are, your the only one listening. This will give you personal experience to analyze, and this will generate more specific questions than "how do I mix?", these are the sort of questions you will find answers to.

There are great articles on all the basics (eq'ing, phrasing, griding, etc) on the DJTT's blog.

Other than that mix, record, and listen.

Tech Guru

I find that trial and error during or just aside from mixing, (i.e. trying a new technique) can be really helpful for determining what works and getting used to doing it. Also I would stress to you not to use the fx board much when you are first starting, I think everyone and their mother wants to augment their breakdowns and transitions thru effects, but really they sound best when used minimally and only in the right spots. Making them sound good and really add something to the mix is difficult at the beginning (of getting into djing) and has the potential to make a decent or good mix sound very bad.

Also see http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4682 the book referenced here is very good for beginners and has a nice balance of what you need to know.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 04-20-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Convert

Thanks guys!
    Actually, a specific question regarding the fx- even when I turn them on, and adjust the wet/dry, the fx do not..effect...the audio output. I am using the 2.2 tsi, firmware 1.3v, and traktor pro 1.1.1

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You need to route the decks to the effect bank.

You do this by selecting with the "1" or "2" (or both) next to the deck.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Practice PRACTICE!

I spend 2-4 hours a day on my decks.
    You learn something new every time, you see what works what doesn't. Learn song structure, keys, and read some books about it

Tech Convert

2-4 hours!? If only I didn't have to read Kant...and Arendt...and Eliot...and...
    I can only dream of the summer, my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast