Xone 92 vs Xone DB2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Xone 92 vs Xone DB2

Thoughts? title says it all which one would you choose
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Each one is great, it.s just what you want;
    4 band eq & filters (more control on filters)
    Or efx & filters (little less control on THE filters) but filter mode on THE eq's.
    Kontrol X1MK2 <3

Depends on your priorities and what you're looking for in a mixer and how you like to mix.

For me, it's a no brainer now; a Xone DB2. There's a price drop here in The Netherlands, and the Xone DB2 is just € 76 more expensive than a Xone:92. But like Xonetacular already stated, it all depends on your priorities.

Advantages of the Xone:92 to the Xone DB2:
    • 4 band EQ
    • 2 Voltage Controlled Filters
    • Dual LFO, compared with the VCF gives you great manipulation of the music
    • 2 AUX/FX Send/Return with line fader, great for external effects or Maschine
    • 9-digit VU meter
    • 4-digit crossfader LEDs, so you know which channels are assigned to the crossfader
    • Analogue!
    • The Xone:92 has clearly proven itself to be a mixer which will last a decade; it's thoroughly built and it feels just like Quality with a capital Q.

Now, let's compare the Xone DB2 to the Xone:92:
    • High quality USB soundcard, so no need for an external soundcard in use with a DAW like Traktor/Serato, 4 Ins and 4 Outs
    • 2 FX units with iLive esque quality of the FX (f*cking great!!!)
    • 2 HP/LP filters (like the DJM-800 Color FX)
    • 3 (!) EQ-modes; Isolator, EQ 92 and Filter Mode (just like the VCF's from the Xone:92, but without the bandpass)
    • Not crammed and I love the layout of the EQ-section; it's not standard
    • DB2 is digital, so it will be updated by A&H from time to time, to give you, the customer, the greatest experience possible. Also I know that the Xone:92 gives clicks when activating the VCF's; with the DB2 A&H can just simply fix this in a firmware update
    • Line faders of the Xone DB2 are straight and not with a slight cure, like the Xone:92 ones
    • Short line faders, but this is no problem for me, since you can assign the CUE meter from the Master meter (at the right top, you know what I mean) to the channel fader which you are cueing! This is just great, because that meter has 13(!) digits and it's not like you're constant monitoring the levels of your track, right? So this negative point about the line faders can be solved within the software of the DB2, which is also a PLUS
    • INPUT MATRIX!!! This one is just too great, you can plug in the RCA's of your Input in the inputs of channel 1 and then select channel 4 to play the input :d. A great, great addition
    • The DB2 is like fully MIDI programmable, so for example you can map the FX units to play, cue and loop tracks in a DAW like Traktor/Serato. The Xone:92 only has limited MIDI capabilities
    • The FX unit has a onboard looper, so you can just loop and with the other FX unit, you can still use some FX over that channel
    • Well, I mentioned the firmware updates. What we can expect (I hope), is that you can can choose for each channel in which EQ-mode it will be, more FX (always good), and even more possibilities that I can't think of (Traktor Scratch Certification, maybe?).

I'll hope that this is enough for you to decide . If you have questions regarding my comparison, don't hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by JDFS; 03-13-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Normally when I use the xone 92 the things I use and like the most is the 4-Band EQ and i like the HP Filter would the DB:2 emulate the 92s filter system? and i use the extra channel for my maschine and sometimes use the send for delay pedal...you said the DB:2 Eqs have 3 different modes where would you interchange with them on the mixer? and how do you assign the effects?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

Well, essentially the High, Mid and Low knobs are becoming your filters.

In FILTER mode, the High knob becomes the control of the low-pass filter, the Mid knob becomes the control of the Resonance/Sharpness (Q) and the Low knob becomes the control of the high-pass filter.

For example, to imitate the high-pass filter; rotate the High knob fully clockwise, set the Mid knob at the Resonance you would like to have (I tend to keep it in the middle) and turn the Low knob fully anticlockwise. By slowly turning the Low knob to the middle or further, you hear the high-pass filter. I hope I made it clear like this .

Which delay pedal you you have? I think you can just 'throw' it away, because the onboard Delay FX are just fantastic, where you can adjust the Beat Fractions or have the Delay in milliSeconds. So no need for a pedal anymore!

The 4 band-EQ, well you just have to get over it. I think that you have lots and lots more control with FILTER mode.

You assign the FX with the XFADE/FX jumper right below the EQ section. It can be set to X (FX unit 1) or either Y (FX unit 2). So you can assign one, two, three or even four channels to one FX unit (major plus point comparing to the DB4) or have none assigned to the FX unit.

Another plus point: Post fader FX, just like the Pioneer ones .
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

i've only mixed on the 92,but i do like the look of the db2 better.if i had to choose i'd go the db2!

JDFS sums it up excellently, I think. I don't know if you (Santos) ever played on a 92, but after using a 4-band EQ, I'm never EVER going back to a 3-band. So my only advice to you is to test out a 92 if you didn't do that already, try out the EQ and find out if it's your thing. If you don't care about the 4-band EQ, the DB2 it is...

Edit: I didn't look at you sig: Xone 92 . So the only question remains, could you part with the 4-band EQ?
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 02-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Guru

I honestly do love the 4 Band EQ but I feel as if all the other things out-way the 4-band and it does have an isolator built in...not only that but then i wouldnt have to bring my soundcard (depending on the night) nor my delay pedal...but does it have an extra line input to route my maschine into?

Yes, it has. But you do need an external soundcard for that! Then sync the MIDI clock and you're good to go (I believe) .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast