Do you "sell" your mixes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you "sell" your mixes?

throw em on a cd, create an album cover etc?

if you are making money off it be ready to either get a lawsuit or pay rolyalties to all the artists whose song you use in your mixtape

unless its 100% of your own production then you can do whatever you want with it
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

^this, it's just music piracy and not the "harmless" one since you are making profit out of someone else's work.

You need to register and pay the proper organization in your country.

No. Leaving legal implications aside for a minute, hardly anyone wants to buy mixes, plus you lose your ability to use freely available mixes as a marketing tool.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    ^this, it's just music piracy and not the "harmless" one since you are making profit out of someone else's work.
    But when you get paid for playing the same works live it's ok? I mean, I see what you're getting at, I'm just a bit confused about the laws around it all.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    But when you get paid for playing the same works live it's ok?
    Yep, the venue (in most situations) should hold the performing rights license.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Yep, the venue (in most situations) should hold the performing rights license.
    Exactly correct. Live performance is different than selling recorded media. Every venue is SUPPOSED to have a license. There are cases when music is only licensed for a period of time so you may see a commercial using a certain song but its only allowed to air for a certain amount of time. Also with live events like UFC, WWE, TNA...they only licensed the music for the live event, but buy that event on DVD/bluray and the music can be different. Even in some movies the music on the DVD/bluray release is different than the theatrical release. Also why some songs aren't on the official soundtrack, they just don't want to pay royalties for it.

So legally, its not a wise move to try and sell your mixes, and since there is so much free stuff out there, no one is going to pay for it anyway.

i post my mixes for free on itunes/mixcloud/sc no need to charge unless your like Guetta or Tiesto maybe Skrillex and what not.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Most people have a difficult enough time getting people to listen to their mix's for free, let alone pay for them.

Tech Mentor

I used to back in the day. Sold em at the record store i would buy my records from. Good luck now. No one buys cds anymore and there is just to much free stuff of the net now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast